Question: Digestive problems

irishgirl - Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:23 pm

Hi

I wonder can you tell me what would be causing a change in my digestive system, I have for the past 5-6 months had the worst gas ever, it actually smells like a strong smelling gas. Its so foul that i have had to throw away clothes.

Ive tried an elimintaion diet to see if it was something i was eating and this hasnt helped.
Its quite embarrassing and I would be eager to find out what is causing it.
there is no change to my bowel routine, I am regular and the stools are formed and normal in colour and consistency.

I drink lots of water and eat adequate fibre.

tx
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:55 am

User avatar Gas in the intestine is produced by the act of bacteria on the food while being digested.
The common causes of excess gas are
Irritable bowel syndrome
Eating certain types of food that are not easily digested.
Eating certain types of food that are not tolerated by the GI (due to lack of certain digestive enzymes as in the case of lactose intolerance).
You probably experience a form of IBS.
IBS is one of the most common disorders that is seen in the clinic.
The disease is not due to inflammation in the wall of the GI and is believed to be due to autonomic dysfunction or hormonal imbalance, that can be easily controlled by simple changes in the lifestyle, diet.

Commonly people who have IBS complaint off
A bloated abdomen
Gaseous distension
Abdominal pain or colic
Either Diarrhea or constipation or an alternating between both of them
Certain types of foods contain, chocolate, milk and alcohol might cause constipation or diarrhea
Stress increases the frequency and the severity of symptoms in almost all cases.
Super added infectious GI attack will worsen also the symptoms.
Although the diagnosis of IBIS is primarily made on complete history and physical examination, some tests may be recommended by some doctors to confirm the diagnosis. These tests include
Colonoscopy and Flexible sigmoidoscopy can be requested for visualization of the entire large intestine (colon) or the lower part of it (sigmoid colon) respectively.
Computerized tomography (CT) scan of the abdomen help to rule out other causes.
Take an appointment to visit your doctor, for better examination and evaluation.
Best regrads,

|