News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: AST 319, my ALT 588, my GGT 285 - nonspecific symptoms

mustardseeds - Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:10 am

I received my blood test results today and my doctor is utterly baffled. He says I have some very non-specific symptoms and the blood test has such extreme abnormalities that the only recommendation that he can offer is another blood test. I wanted to get your thoughts on my test results.

My AST levels are extremely high at 319, my ALT levels are at 588, my GGT levels are 285, and my aboslute lymphocytes are at 6,147..all extremely high. I don't drink, smoke, use drugs and am a married (and committed) man. I live a very clean life and am in otherwise good health, but latley I have been experiencing extreme fatigue, shortness of breath, and abdominal pains.

Any insight you could give would be greatly appreciated, including a course of action other than more blood tests.
 MaryAnn N, RN - Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:46 am

User avatar Your doctor is correct in doing more blood work, he just doesn't have enough pieces to solve the puzzel. You could have any number of things wrong. With your elevated liver enzymes, you could have hepatitis. I would not panic until the doctor has finished all of his tests. It is important that you follow up on this to rule out anything serious.

Hope you start feeling better soon.

MaryAnnRN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here