Question: lower rib pain

Reader2005 - Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:12 pm

I have recently had an endoscopy, & hydrascan for lower right pain under rib and extreme back pain, have been diagnosed with small hiatal hernia and level 3 reflux, I also have hashimoto's disease and complications of solid nodules on back of thyroid and swollen neck and limited movement.

I have been taking nexium for 2 1/2 weeks and the back pain and rib pain persits as well as the burning sensation on my right side. I have low blood pressure to boot. I don't know where to turn to next. Do you have any suggestions or guidance?[/list]
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:00 pm

User avatar Dear Reader2005,

General approaches in the treatment of GERD aim to alleviate symptoms and prevent esophageal damage.
Combination of drugs working by different mechanisms are usually used in GERD treatment.

These medications include:
- Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) to protect the damaged mucosa from the acid secretion.
- Coating agents like Sucralfate as a protective.
- Promotility agents include metoclopramide to improve lower esophageal sphincter function.

NEXIUM is a Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) and is used for short-term treatment (4 to 8 weeks) to help in the healing of the damaged esophagus (esophagitis)caused by acid reflux.
Results of treatment and the duration needed, depend on the degree of damage and if no improvement occurred in up to 8 weeks another trial of 4-8 weeks is considered.

Follow up with our doctor is essential.
Keep us updated,

|