News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: lower rib pain

Reader2005 - Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:12 pm

I have recently had an endoscopy, & hydrascan for lower right pain under rib and extreme back pain, have been diagnosed with small hiatal hernia and level 3 reflux, I also have hashimoto's disease and complications of solid nodules on back of thyroid and swollen neck and limited movement.

I have been taking nexium for 2 1/2 weeks and the back pain and rib pain persits as well as the burning sensation on my right side. I have low blood pressure to boot. I don't know where to turn to next. Do you have any suggestions or guidance?[/list]
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:00 pm

User avatar Dear Reader2005,

General approaches in the treatment of GERD aim to alleviate symptoms and prevent esophageal damage.
Combination of drugs working by different mechanisms are usually used in GERD treatment.

These medications include:
- Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) to protect the damaged mucosa from the acid secretion.
- Coating agents like Sucralfate as a protective.
- Promotility agents include metoclopramide to improve lower esophageal sphincter function.

NEXIUM is a Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) and is used for short-term treatment (4 to 8 weeks) to help in the healing of the damaged esophagus (esophagitis)caused by acid reflux.
Results of treatment and the duration needed, depend on the degree of damage and if no improvement occurred in up to 8 weeks another trial of 4-8 weeks is considered.

Follow up with our doctor is essential.
Keep us updated,
Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here