Question: Nexium or Prilosec ok?

maiden75 - Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:58 am

I have a quick question. I have been prescribed Nexium for occasional stomach pain/heartburn...for the time being I am without insurance and as you know Nexium is $154.99 for a 30 day supply! I only have 5 Nexium pills left and have been having some reflux into my throat for the last couple days. Is it ok to take Prilosec until I have insurance again and then start back with the Nexium? I only have attacks of this for 2-3 days every few weeks or so. Is it pretty much the same medicine?? Thanks!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:19 am

User avatar Hi maiden75,
Theses are the same class of drugs and both are used for GERD. In my opinion I see no problem using the Prilosec until you are able to start using the Nexium again.
 wstew82 - Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:54 pm

prilosec will be helpful, but not as good as prevacid or nexium. i have silent reflux, which affects my larynx as it proceeds farther up my esophagus, and take prevacid for this. i was taking prilosec, but did not find that it was as adequate. i read your post back in march as well, in which you mentioned that you were having swallowing difficulty stemming from anxiety. did anti-anxiety medication alleviate your swallowing problems? also, did it affect your analytical skills on the job, etc.?

|