News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Nexium or Prilosec ok?

maiden75 - Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:58 am

I have a quick question. I have been prescribed Nexium for occasional stomach pain/heartburn...for the time being I am without insurance and as you know Nexium is $154.99 for a 30 day supply! I only have 5 Nexium pills left and have been having some reflux into my throat for the last couple days. Is it ok to take Prilosec until I have insurance again and then start back with the Nexium? I only have attacks of this for 2-3 days every few weeks or so. Is it pretty much the same medicine?? Thanks!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:19 am

User avatar Hi maiden75,
Theses are the same class of drugs and both are used for GERD. In my opinion I see no problem using the Prilosec until you are able to start using the Nexium again.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 wstew82 - Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:54 pm

prilosec will be helpful, but not as good as prevacid or nexium. i have silent reflux, which affects my larynx as it proceeds farther up my esophagus, and take prevacid for this. i was taking prilosec, but did not find that it was as adequate. i read your post back in march as well, in which you mentioned that you were having swallowing difficulty stemming from anxiety. did anti-anxiety medication alleviate your swallowing problems? also, did it affect your analytical skills on the job, etc.?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here