Question: Bloating...stomach pains...wt gain

miaminole5 - Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:08 am

Frustrated......
Over the last few months I've noticed a severe change in my body and my stomach.
I've gained about six lbs....which is strange since I haven't changed my workout or eating habits. I eat very healthy workout and live a clean lifestyle.

However, a few months ago I went to London and Scotland while there I was unable to go to the bathroom. Once I came back ...I began traveling for work so my body's rhythm still remained out of sorts...but all in all I had only gained about 2lbs...but then the stomach issues began. A year ago I was diagnosed as being lactose intolerant. So when these new issues began I wasn't sure the cause. But my stomach cramps started again,.....accompanied by bloating....which isn't a constant thing but very frequent...my stomach will hold up to 3-4 lbs of gas...it's uncomfortable...painful and somewhat depressing....

I had a colonoscopy last week and I am still waiting for the results....
I just don't know that they will find anything...I sit here in pain because today is one of those days where my stomach has decided to be bloated and my body is retaining water.

Pls...help I don't want to be in pain everytime I eat...
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:41 pm

User avatar Dear miaminole5,

- The symptoms and signs of IBS are very similar to what you have described.
However, they are non specific and shared by many other conditions affecting the GI tract especially, Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis.

- Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis are caused by inflammation of the wall of the GI tract.

- Infectious colitis should be investigated too by stool analysis and stool cultures.

- If symptoms are noticed to be related only to the intake dairy products, or caffeine containing beverages, or sugar-free gum or candies, the condition may be due to Lactose intolerance in which, the enzyme needed to digest the sugar (lactose) is deficient. In this case you can either exclude any food product containing mil or caffeine or artificial sweeteners for few weeks as a test, or a breath test can be done to confirm the diagnosis.

Colonoscopy or Flexible sigmoidoscopy for visualization of the entire large intestine (colon) or the lower part of it (sigmoid colon) respectively is usually requested.
If any lesion is suspicious a biopsy should be taken to rule our Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis.

The results of the biopsy can tell whether it is due to inflammatory causes or not.

Free colonscopic examination dose not mean negative inflammatory(Crohn's ) disease since the disease affects primarily the entire GI tract and usually starts in the small intestine, so a Barium follow through can help investigate the small intestine with a Small bowel X-ray.

Follow up with your doctor is essential.

Keep us updated,

|