News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Motility problem?

DJM - Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:23 am

My partner has approx. 6 bowel movements/day - which she states is normal for her.
She complains of a feeling of fullness if she doesn't move her bowels shortley after ( about an hour or so) each meal.
When she eats vegetables - they come out in whole pieces like peas, corn, green beans and sometimes even lettuce!
Is this normal? Is she lacking in digestive enzymes? Would she be lacking absorption of nutrients because of this? Is this a motolity problem? Any medication that might help?
 Helena_Draven - Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:36 am

I suffered with IBS for about 10 years until I was diagnosed with food intolerances arising from Leaky Gut Syndrome. What you're describing is malabsorption of food - it's simply going straight through without your partner getting the benefit of its content. The first thing I would suggest is keeping a food diary for at least 2 weeks. Make a record of everything eaten and drunk, and all associated symptoms (pain, bloating, feeling of fullness etc). I'd say 6 times a day isn't normal. Anything more than 3 isn't really ok. Once identified, you can cut out the offending food items and the situation may improve. Some people with IBS benefit from increasing the fibre in their diets, others don't. Personally, I had blood tests for food intolerances and once I cut out wheat, gluten and dairy, and cut down on the amount of sugar in my diet, I improved dramatically. I absorb my food properly now. Digestive enzymes may help, but getting your gut flora balanced will help more! A good, non-dairy probiotic supplment should help a great deal.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here