Question: Stomach Pains

SandyJay - Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:06 am

I have had stomach pains for the last month. They are a lot like cramps. Also on ocassion i get diarrhea and i have times where i spend a whole day throwing up. I am not sure what is wrong with me.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:08 pm

User avatar Dear SandyJay,

Having abdominal pain for a month and occasional attacks of diarrhea or vomiting should be investigated properly.

I will try to give you an idea about some common possibilities that can explain your condition:
IBS, which is believed to be due to autonomic dysfunction or hormonal imbalance that can be easily controlled by simple changes in the lifestyle, diet.
Commonly people who have IBS complaints off
Abdominal pain or colic
A bloated abdomen
Gaseous distension
Either Diarrhea or constipation or an alternating between both of them
Mucus containing stool
Stress increases the frequency and the severity of symptoms in almost all cases.
Super added infectious GI attack will worsen also the symptoms.
Certain types of foods contain, chocolate, milk and alcohol might aggravate the condition
The symptoms and signs of IBS are very non specific and shared by many other conditions affecting the GI tract. The diagnosis although made by exclusion of other causes, however abdominal pain and diarrhea or constipation lasting at least 12 weeks is the main criteria for the diagnosis of IBS.

•The symptoms and signs of IBS are very non specific and shared by many other conditions affecting the GI tract especially, Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis are caused by inflammation of the wall of the GI tract and should be excluded first before IBS is considered.

Malabsorption and food intolerance should be excluded too by e.g. testing stools for fat absorption, and the blood tests for celiac disease respectively. In addition to specific tests for lactose intolerance.

Gastric and small intestinal ulcers.

Only by complete history, physical examination and investigations, the correct diagnosis can be reached. I advise you to keep on Follow up with your doctor.

|