Question: Morning Diarrhea

zenrox - Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:45 am

I am 19 years old and I've had diarrhea problems most of my life, especially during the morning. I don't recall elementary school that well, but during junior high I had to take a bus to go to school, and almost every day I was constantly in a state of emergency to get to the bathroom during and as soon as I got off the bus. It was a drag. I still have this problem today and it always seems to happen during the morning. I want to know if this problem could be fixed and also how severe it is. Thank you for your time.

Victor
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:15 pm

User avatar Dear zenrox,

Having almost constant or repeated attacks of diarrhea should be investigated properly.
This is a condition that will affect your general health and in many cases, it can be due to a controllable cause.

I will try to give you an idea about some common possibilities that can explain your condition:

IBS, which is believed to be due to autonomic dysfunction or hormonal imbalance that can be easily controlled by simple changes in the lifestyle, diet.
Commonly people who have IBS complaints off
Abdominal pain or colic
A bloated abdomen
Gaseous distension
Either Diarrhea or constipation or an alternating between both of them
Mucus containing stool
Stress increases the frequency and the severity of symptoms in almost all cases.
Super added infectious GI attack will worsen also the symptoms.
Certain types of foods contain, chocolate, milk and alcohol might aggravate the condition
The symptoms and signs of IBS are very non specific and shared by many other conditions affecting the GI tract. The diagnosis although made by exclusion of other causes, however abdominal pain and diarrhea or constipation lasting at least 12 weeks is the main criteria for the diagnosis of IBS.

•The symptoms and signs of IBS are very non specific and shared by many other conditions affecting the GI tract especially, Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis are caused by inflammation of the wall of the GI tract and should be excluded first before IBS is considered.

Malabsorption and food intolerance should be excluded too by e.g. testing stools for fat absorption, and the blood tests for celiac disease respectively. In addition to specific tests for lactose intolerance.

Only by complete history, physical examination and investigations , the correct diagnosis can be reached. I advise you to keep on Follow up with your doctor.

|