News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: I think I may have liver disease

katiejay - Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:15 pm

I have pain in my upper right side of my chest, behind my right shoulder, just under my right breast and also a small area just under my left breast. Also, only just recently - this past week - I have been having bowl movements with black spots in them - they are hard like coal, but break apart, some are like flakes and some are round and like the size of small bb's - the others are no more than the size of small specks. I have bouts of weakness, tiredness, nauciousness and stomach bloating. I have recently been diagnosed with Epilepsy here in Mexico and spent a week in the hospital for that with convulsions and such. The particular anxiety for me at this moment are these black spots in my very loose bowls (which are either diarreah or loose and are reddish brown) - what can they be and this something that I should take extremely seriously? I ask this because I plan to go to the US on Sept 23rd but if I need to go sooner, then I will. Please help me decide if I need to get on a plane sooner. The medical help here is not very good. thankyou.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 pm

User avatar Dear katiejay,

Causes of dark stool include:
- GI bleeding , dark stool is usually due to upper GI causes like.
Peptic ulcer
Gastritis and gastric cancer
Esophageal bleeding
Liver cirrhosis

If bleeding is suspected, physical examination to exclude low blood pressure and decrease intracellular volume, enlarged liver or spleen, jaundice, bruising etc.

Stool analysis is essential for confirmation of the presence of blood in stool.

- Certain type of food and iron preparations lead to constipation and dark stool.

- Some drugs like many Anticonvulsant drugs, (You did not mention if you are receiving any medications) result in GI problems and bleeding tendency.

Initial Stool examination, liver function test and CBC can be done.

You can follow up with your doctor where you are now for initial evaluation. If you do not get improved or you feel not confident, as soon as you are back take an appointment with your consultant for proper management.

Keep us updated.
Best regards,
 katiejay - Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:03 am

Hi Doctor, thank you for your response. I had blood work done yesterday and it shows that I have Salmonilla "O" 1:40, Proteus OX-19 1:80, Glucosa 102, Urea 26.3, creatinina 0.8, acido urico 2.7, Colesterol 259, hemoblobin 15.5, Hematocrito (spanish) 45.5, MVC 94, CMHC 34.1, Leucocitos 6100, linfocitos 40, Monocitos 3, Eosinofilos 2, Basofilos 0, Mielocitos 0, Juveniles 0, Bandas 0, Segmentados 55, Eritrosedimentacion 10, plaquetes 292, volumen plaquetario 7.7, Trigliceridos 177, Urin shows clear, yellow, density 1,010 ph 6.5, proteina negative, Glucosa Negativa, cuerpo cetonicos negativos, sangre negative, urobilinogeno 0.2, nitritos negativos, bilirrubinas negativa, Celulas epiteliales 5-6, leucocitos 1-2, no check for Eritrocitos, cristales or bacterias.

My doctor here put me on Ciprofloxacino 1 gram taken once a day for 10 days. I am allergic to Penicillin and am taking Epamin for my epilepsy 800 mg daily.

any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you - Kathy Aviles

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here