News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Please help!

monstermonkey - Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:07 pm

I have a history of IBS, or spastic colon, and no matter what I seem to do # showering often, wiping extra well, staying away from rough foods# I still get spotting in my underwear. It's driving me insane, making me feel dirty and I can't figure out how to stop it.

Is this a sign of something else? Is there something I can do to stop it? I'll try anything...

Thank you
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:09 pm

User avatar Irritible bowel syndrome (IBS) is a very common and debilitating disease. Upto 20% of IBS

patients suffer from fecal incontinence, like you do. There are many methods available

attempting to treat fecal incontinence, including both surgical and medical therapies. The

good news is they are currently evaluating promising drugs.

Mild-Moderate Treatments

Diet
Pads or Diapers
Medication
Muscle Exercise with Biofeedback: Some forms of incontinence can be helped through exercises that strengthen and tone the pelvic floor muscles. With biofeedback, electronic or mechanical instruments measure the strength of your pelvic floor contractions and give you immediate feedback on the progress of your muscle-strengthening exercises.

Severe Fecal Incontinence Treatments

If the mild to moderate treatment options for incontinence did not treat the condition, or if you and your doctor determine you have severe fecal incontinence, the following surgical procedures are available:

Sphincteroplasty, or reconstructive surgery, is the most commonly performed surgical repair of the sphincter.

Acticon™ Neosphincter is a completely implantable prosthesis that allows the patient to control bowel movements.

Muscle transposition procedure, uses a muscle from the thigh (gracilis) or buttocks (gluteus) to repair the sphincter.

Colostomy is the surgical creation of an opening between the colon and the surface of the body.
You should discuss with your doctor which form of therapy is best suited for you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here