News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: ulcerative colitis vs Chron's disease

schales4624 - Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:07 pm

For three years my father as has rectal bleeding. We have been to a multitude of physicians and the closest we have come to getting a diagnosis is ulcerative colitis vs Chron's disease. Many, many tests have been performed without any confirmation of what is wrong. One week ago he had a barium enema. Today, he was scheduled to hava a CT of the abd and pelvis. This test was not able to be done because he still has the barium in his system. I do not believe this is normal! He also has FVE, his RBC's are way below WNL, his H/H is way below WNL. He does not have formed stools. When he passes gas it is full of blood. He has been on steroids, a ton of GI meds, and he has also had 5-6 Remicaid treatments with no positive outcome. Due to the time of year, his family physician and surgeon who ordered the tests are out of town. He was told by the surgeon's nurse to use Ducolax suppositories to remove the barium. How is this going to help? Does anyone have a GI doctor that can help? I am very worried. Thank you!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:03 pm

User avatar Schales,
I am sorry to hear about your father's condition. In assessing rectal bleeding several factors are taken into consideration. The colour of blood (red, black 'melena'), whether the blood is mixed within the stools or not. Please take the time to read the possible causes and methods of assessment of these conditions on this page.

GIT Bleeding

What were the colonoscopy results? Was a biopsy performed?

Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here