News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Colon cancer?

scarlet - Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:40 pm

:? I am a 26 year old mother of four and ever since the birth of my first child (normal delivery) in 1996 I have had to deal with what I say is constipation. Every time I have a bowel movement it is with extreme pain, the blood vessels on my face and upper body pop from the pushing and I get little red dots all over my face and upper body. I mentioned this to my OB/GYN and he said it was most likely hemmoroids and gave me some pills. I am Hispanic 5'1and about 102 lbs so I don't believe it has anything with being over weight. My father has been diagnosed with something called chrones and has been taking medication for it for about the past 10 years that I know of. I used to have bowel movements only once every two weeks then once every week and now it is about once every two-three days. At times it is loose which at those times it is some what more comfortable to have a bowel movement but it comes with a burning feeling. Now for the past three months I have had to deal with on and off bright red bleeding during these bowel movements and the toilet bowel water just fills with blood regardless of the amount of times I flush. I am always tired as far as my body feeling weak and always wanting to sleep. Could I possibly be a statistic for colon cancer? Or could this be as simple as hemmoroids? Is it possible to develop colon cancer at my age? Please help, I am scared of what this might be..
 aliz - Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:19 pm

I am not a doctor- but thought I would reply with my own two cents. I would suggest seeing a gastroenterologist due to your symptoms and history of Chron's disease in your family. Changes are, at your age, you do not have cancer. It could also be something totally benign, like hemmorhoids. But, if it is Chron's disease, it requires treatment.

As per NIH's website:
The most common symptoms of Crohn's disease are abdominal pain, often in the lower right area, and diarrhea. Rectal bleeding, weight loss, and fever may also occur. Bleeding may be serious and persistent, leading to anemia. Children with Crohn's disease may suffer delayed development and stunted growth.

In the meantime- try not to worry too much. Once you see a dr. you will feel much better!
 aliz - Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:21 pm

also, anemia could explain your fatigue...

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here