News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Terrified...please give advice

WVgirl1983 - Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:04 pm

I am VERY worried about this and too embarrassed to see the doctor. Any advice you can give will be appreciated...

I am a 21-year-old female and for quite some time I've had some bleeding during my bowel movements. Since I sit at my job all day, never consume much water, and sometimes have a tendency to hold in bowel movements, I've always assumed I had hemorrhoids or maybe an anal fissure. Recently I began taking a fiber supplement which seems to help (as long as I remember to take them) soften the stools and make bowel movements much less painful and wihout bleeding. The past few weeks I didn't take any of the pills and for the past few days I've had painful bowel movements (a tearing feeling), a few drops of blood in the toilet and on stools, and bright red blood on the toilet paper. I've had a lump near my anus...it doesn't hurt if it's touched....I don't have any pain at all except during the actual bowel movement and maybe for a few hours afterwards. I don't have any stomach discomfort, or itching. I'm just worried that maybe it's something more serious. I think colon cancer in 21-year-olds is rare, but my grandfather died from it so I guess it just scares me that I'm having this problem.

Please help me..
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:48 am

User avatar Hi WVgirl1983,
Problematic constipation may eventually result in hemorrhoid formation or rectal tears. Appearance of bright red blood may be indicative of either of these disorders. Changes in diet, increasing the amount of fiber and water intake should help in alleviate the constipation. Please don't be embarressed about having an evaluation by your physician. This should be completed to assure that your problems are related to the constipation and not an underlying disorder. Keep in mind that ignoring a problem doesn't make it disappear and may actually make it more difficult to to treat.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here