News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Stomach pain

Peete4831 - Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:23 pm

I'm 20 years old male. For the past 4 days i had orange stool (i see it on the tissue) and one time a little red stool. And sometime i have a little pain in stomach. I also get a minimal pain on my upper right side of chest part. I don't know what is wrong with me and what to do. Can you please give me an advise.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:09 pm

User avatar Hello Peete4831,

I assume that you meant brown stools, you primarily have to check for the type of food you have ingested recently and new medications or antibiotics that could cause colored stool.

If you have loose stool, frequent bowel movements and mild fever then it is more likely to be due to Gastroenteritis. The commonest cause is viral infection, flu like symptoms and chest pain due to pleurisy can occur.

If there is blood in stool with abdominal pain the Lower GI causes like colitis are to considered.
- Colitis could be due to infectious causes, which can be confirmed by stool analysis and culture if needed.
- It can be due to inflammatory bowel diseases which is diagnosed by colonoscopy.

IBS and steatorrhea should be excluded too

If you have diarrhea you have to take care of enough fluid intake to avoid being dehydrated and you better consult your doctor to receive the proper medications.

You better take an appointment for your doctor and to go for stool analysis as initial step in the diagnosis.

Hope you find this information useful.
Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here