News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: sharp stomach pain on lower left side

dirtylou666 - Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:37 pm

i keep having sharp stomach pain on my left side. its like stabbing then goes away for a few seconeds then comes right back. leaning all the way over and heat helps a little.
does it have anything to do with my spelle or appendix? whats going on?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:30 pm

User avatar Dear dirtylou666,

Abdominal pain is a nonspecific symptom for many medical conditions. That is why a lot more information about the character of the pain is always needed to reach the daiagnois. These informations include:
the site, the time of onset, duration of pain or the course of the pain, nature of pain e.g.dull, crampy etc, and any associted symptom or possible precipitating factor.

In general pain felt in the left side of the abdomen as you mentioned can be due to many causes including:
Excess gas and distension
Indigestion
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Renal problems
Diverticulitis, similar to appendicitis but on the left side.
Colitis
Recurrent abdominal pain can be a somatization for emotional or psycholigical peoblems.

Only by complete history, physical examination and investigations , the correct diagnosis can be reached. I advise you to be checked by your doctor.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here