News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Cystic fibrosis

scook - Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:24 pm

Hi Bill
The reason I am so curious is because my children(a male and female) are both very small for their age. Under the growth chart. They do have chronic sinusitis, and my son was tested for CF, but it came out negative. My daughter went through a long bout of diarrhea, which brought the pediatricians to a diagnosis of lactose intolerance. Since the change in what she eats, that is normal. I have been researching CF for a friend whose son has it. When I read the symptoms, I became worried due to some of the things my daughter has been through, and it did'nt help that most of the sights on CF made it sound as if a person who has salty sweat has CF. With what you have told me, I feel more confident that I have overreacted to the sights, and that she is okay. I am in the medical field with little or no knowledge about this subject, and that should say something too. Are females less likely to get CF? Thank you for your help. I apologize if I may have overreacted. I love my daughter very much and don't want anything bad to happen to her! Thank you for your time and reassurance.
 Dr. Russell M - Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:44 pm

User avatar Hi!

I respect your every right to over-react to any possible illness that might threaten the integrity of your children. Pardon me if my curiosity sounded bordering on an attack over your enthusiasm to know. I appreciate the love you have for your children, even if it meant undue worry.

On my own part, I could have inadvertently overlooked the fact that no, females are not less likely to get CF. In fact, females are more likely to deteriorate from CF (especially after the beginning of the menstrual cycles) with less survival than males. So much for off-hand advices!

In any case, to diagnose CF, the requirements are:

1. Positive sweat chloride test (>60 mEq/L).
2. Any 1 of the following:
a) Typical chronic obstructive lung disease.
b) Documented pancreatic insufficiency (exocrine).
c) Positive family history (usually affected siblings).

Even though it occurs in Whites mostly, it can occur in other races too. And even though the usual age of presentation is 6-8 months, adolescents of more than 18 years have also been identified with the disease.

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,

-Bill

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here