News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: does anyone know what this could mean

sweetpea1217 - Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:46 pm

i've had diarrhea for years now, i get the poops then get constipated, if i eat spicey foods, ice cream greasy foods, pasta or go out to eat,seems to go right threw me,some times i have blood in with it,or seems to be in with it,when i wipe myself it looks like blood, i wiped myself once and had a spot of mucus with blood,(brite red blood) i was tested for polyps and hemroids once doc in florida said i did'nt have them did a ct scan nothing wrong, pattasium was low.i get bloated after eating and cramps alot i also have lower back pain on right side only,been there for bout 5 months,(artheritis i guess)did xrays they said look like artheritis.had mri done was fine.i am just woundering if anyone would know what this could be, is it bad enough to go to the docs.please help. :(
 DeLWolcott - Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:46 am

Your first plan of action should be to get yourself on a more healthy and consistent diet. Bananas, definitely. You may want to start out on something close to the BRAT diet for a few days to give your intestinal tract a break, Bananas-Rice-Applesauce-Toast.

As far as blood in the stool, bright red would generally indicate that a lesion of some sort was very close to the sphincter - but polyps and hemorrhoids have been ruled out.

You say that you have pain on the right side, lower back. I'm curious about the right side, front, just above the pelvis. Have you ever noticed any symptoms starting in that area (close to the appendix) and going across to the left , and if so, what have you felt? What kind of testing did they do for your polyps and how thorough were they in their testing? (Crassly, how far did they go up to look?)

A gastroenterologist is definitely your best bet. If you aren't getting the answers you need from your current gastro doc, look into finding another. Your intestinal tract doesn't need the added stress of you worrying about this. And be gentle to it for a few days. ;)
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:27 pm

User avatar You probably have a lactose intolerance to dairy, a lack of lactase enzyme to digest dairy, which results in gas, bloating and diarrhea. The majority of adults develop this at some point.

If there are no hemorrhoids either external or internal, no fissure and you have had a colonoscopy to rule this out, not just a CT scan, then it's possible the diarrhea is causing a minute amount of blood.

There is the possibility you may be suffering from Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis. There are many tests to be done to rule these out.

Try eliminating the dairy from your diet, and if your symptoms do not improve, you may need to seek a second opinion.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here