News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Severe abdominal pain and colored discharge.

Meiko3 - Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:53 am

I have been diagnosed 10 years ago with IBS.It is normal for me to have varied stool movements ranging from hard pebbles to loose diarohea. Over the past 5 weeks or so I have vomited for no apparent reason following sudden onset of feeling extremely unwell and severe sweating. For the past week I have been passing orange colored discharge with my stools and today I noticed the stools themselves have become orange colored as well. I have begun leaving an orange soiled mark on my undergarments without feeling any sensation of passing anything. For the past 2 days I have experienced extremely severe abdominal pain just under the breastbone with severe tenderness when pressure applied. The pain has begun radiating into my back and I am feeling very sick like I am about to throw up. I have been suffering with extreme lethargy and tiredness along with difficulty in sleeping. I have no appetite and find it difficult to firce myself to eat anything.
I have been diagnosed in the past of having ulcers but the investigations 5 years ago showed the ulcers had repaired and only scarring remained.
I am wondering if possibly the ulcers have returned and if they are possibly bleeding.
Should I seek an appointment with my local GP or is this something that will pass without intervention? I appreciate your opinion. Thank you
 Dr. Russell M - Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:29 am

User avatar Hi!

Mucorrhea [passage of mucus per rectum] is common in around 25% of patients with IBS. But as to the color being orange, I am unaware. Your description of abdominal pain finds mention in Pancreatitis. Steatorrhea [passage of undigested fat in stool] is mentioned in both IBS as well as chronic pancreatitis. But you are sure it is not blood that you find with the stool/staining the undergarments? What did you have the bowel surgery for?

Peptic ulcers (stomach ulcers) stand as a minor cause of pancreatitis, the major being alcohol consumption; but then you happen to be a non-drinker.

If the ulcers have come back, I cannot be sure. If they're bleeding, one would come across black tarry sticky stools with foul odor. Should you seek an appointment with your GP? It would be best to do so. Or will this pass without intervention? I do not know.

Hope this helps,

Warm regards,

-Bill

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here