Question: Eating perfectly but still constipated and weak...

GermaniumGenie - Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:44 pm

Hi. I am 16 years old. I have been eating perfectly for the past month; I have at least 50g of fiber a day and plenty of water. I haven't had fast food in well over a year. On this current diet, I have no pain at all, and I can go once a day or more sometimes. When I don't eat enough fiber, it is more difficult for me to go. However, I feel constipated the entire day until I finally go to the bathroom. When I am constipated feeling, I am weak and tired, and it severely affects my daily life. I don't have any stress. I have no pain or nausea, and I have seen two different gastroentronologists, and they just tell me to have more fiber and take Glycolax. The Glycolax simply makes my stools watery. Sometimes even those watery stools are difficult to push out. They have checked me, and I have no bleeding or anything. My stools are soft, but they are sometimes difficult to push out anyway. Even gas is sometimes difficult to push out. This has been going on for 5 years. I used to eat very unhealthily and hold bowel movements often. I used to simply take laxatives to help, and it would go away within a day. Then, about 2 years ago, it got really bad, and even laxatives wouldn't stop the irregularity. I would have to take them nearly everyday, which I did for a few months. The main problem for me is the weakness. HOW DOES CONSTIPATION (if this even qualifies as constipation) CAUSE WEAKNESS? I NEED TO GO TO THE BATHROOM TO PLAY WELL IN THE SPORTS I DO. Can you please help me and give suggestions to cure this or name what I could possibly have? Thanks a lot![/b][/u]
 R. Zein, Pharm D - Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:53 am

User avatar Dear

there are many causes of Constipation

1) Functional:
Functional fecal retention, Lack of bulk and fiber in the diet, Protracted vomiting, Irritable bowel syndrome

2)Obstructive:
Adenocarcinoma, Pelvic tumor, mass, or pregnancy, Meconium ileus (cystic fibrosis), Anterior ectopic anus, Congenital or acquired anal ring stenosis, Small left colon, Rectal of sigmoid stricture

3) Endocrine & Metabolic:

Hypothyroidism, Hyperparathyroidism, Idiopathic hypercalcemia, Hypokalemia, Pheochromocytoma, Diabetes, Renal tubular acidosis, Vitamin D intoxication, Amyloidosis, Collagen-vascular (scleroderma, lupus, dermatomyositis), Visceral myopathy, Congenital pseudo-obstruction, Multiple endocrine adenoma, Porphyria, Graft versus host disease

4)Neurologic:
Aganglionosis (Hirschsprung's disease), Neuronal dysplasia (hyperganglionosis), Hypoganglionosis (Chagas disease), Familial dysautonomia, Hypotonia syndromes, Spina bifida occulta, Myelomeningocele, Paraplegia, Cauda equina tumor, Tethered cord syndrome

5) Functional
Functional fecal retention, Protracted vomiting, Lack of bulk in diet, Irritable bowel syndrome

and 6)Medicinal:
Laxative abuse, Diuretics, Tricyclic antidepressants, Narcotics, Aluminum antacids, Vincristine, Calcium channel blockers, Iron overload, Lead poisoning

Lack of water and Lack of fiber and poor diet remain to be the major causes of constipation, you have mentioned that your intake of fiber and water is very satisfactory.

i am thinking it might be colon obstruction, or may be tension in the muscles of the colon, rectum an anus, or may be you are eating too much concentrated proteins.

i believe you may discuss with your doctor and do colonoscopy to rule out digestive problems, and to keep eating fiber , drinking water, and exercising.

as far as for the weakness, it is very common to feel tired and fatigued when constipated, not only this, but some people might have bad headaches too
this is because constipation is a common disturbance of the digestive tract. In this condition, the bowels do not move regularly, or are not completely emptied when they move.

his condition is the chief cause of many diseases as it produces toxins ( which causes weakness ) which find their way into the bloodstream and are carried to all parts of the body.

in fact Appendicitis, rheumatism, arthritis, high blood pressure, cataract., and cancer are only a few of the diseases in which chronic constipation is an important predisposing factor.

thank you and i hope you feel better

[/b]

|