News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: noticeable bloat after small snack

lilysuzanne - Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:15 pm

for the past ten years or so I have refrained from eating except when I am at home for the night because on 85% of occasion, I bloat 5" to 6" after eating a small sandwhich or snack size crackers. I avoid salt, but chocolate doesn' trigger it? Why is this?. What foods can help? I am healthy weight and bloating is below belly button,40years old.
 R. Zein, Pharm D - Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:38 am

User avatar Hi
do you have accasional constipation along with the bloating symptoms you have?

i recommend that you increase the frequency of meals, and avoid eating one large meal for example, also fibers help reduce your symptoms. meanwhile it is good that you increase your fluid intake, mainly water.

i hope your symptoms resolve.
thank you
 lilysuzanne - Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:49 pm

Thank you, I thought dehydrating myself would help. I haven't had a glass of water in ten years. My fluid intake is coffee in the morning, that's all. I eat salads daily and am going to add homemade bran muffins and force myself to drink water. Y es, I suffer constipation weekly, sometimes for days and it feels awful. Thank you so much for advice.
 R. Zein, Pharm D - Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:54 pm

User avatar YOU are very welcome
now that you have mentioned your constipation, it makes very sense that you feel bloated.
water is very important, to prevent dehydration, therefore, to prevent also constipation. you may want to cut on coffee, because coffee causes more dehydration. otherwise , try to increase your fiber intake, keep eating the salads, increase your fruit intake, dried fruits in the morning especially dried prune, or prune juice, (first thing in morning) have been successfuly used in many patients who suffer from constipation.

take care of your self, and i wish the best.
 lilysuzanne - Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:03 pm

thought I would follow up to this so it might help someone else.I am doing definately better with more water and smaller meals i ha ven't tried the prune juice yet, however I went way overboard with the bran muffins consuming 5 a day on the weekend. felt like a leaded balloon.I was so bloated my family laughed hysterically at me.I went "off the bran" for a day and deflated. I guess moderation is the key. Seriously, I feel so much better and have more energy.I also haven't been constipated at all.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here