News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Gliadin Antibodies

candrr - Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:47 pm

I was recently seen by a rheumatologist as a result of a postive ANA test last month. He decided to run antigliadin and antiendomysial antibody tests as part of many other tests. All my tests came back negative (no lupus, sjogrens......) except for one. The Gliadin IGG antibody was 44 where the normal range is less than 24 units. The Gliadin IGA was negative at 19 where the normal range is less than 20 units. The endomysial antibody test came back normal as well at less than 1.5.

I have struggled with stomach problems (nausea, stomach cramps, loose stools) ever since I can remember. I've always been told it was IBS and that nothing much could be done. Now, I'm wondering with the IGG gliadin antibody coming back positive but the others negative. Is there still a possibility that I do have celiac disease??? Or could something else be causing the positive result? If so, how would I find out. I am so tired of not feeling well, I just want a diagnosis that will allow me to fix whatever is wrong.

Thanks - Risa
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:32 pm

User avatar Candrr,
Your Antigliadin IgG test is weakly positive (its significantly positive if its >50). Endomyselial antibody is more specific and sensitive to the diagnosis of celiac disease. A normal endomyselial test should rule out the diagnosis of celiac disease. Positive ANA usually accompany many rheumatic diseases particularly SLE. However, a substantial number of normal helathy persons have a positive ANA.

I would forget about those results if I were you. Have you undergone an endoscopy?

Please have a look at this info on our site that is related to malabsorption and its causes:

Click here!
 candrr - Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:24 pm

Thanks for your response. Yes I've had an endoscopy, and colonoscopy as well a couple of years ago. Nothing has ever been found, hence the IBS diagnosis. I do have endometriosis which is probably contributing to the IBS symptoms, these always are worse after my menstrual cycle. I'm goin to seeian ob/gyn to prescribe a type of birth control pill that will give me better control over my cycles (it would be great to skip it altogether). The rheumatologist told me that about half of women diagnosed with endometriosis also have a positive ANA test, without necessarily having any other autoimmune issues. I'm sure someday we'll figure out how all these diseases are interconnected - maybe then we'll figure out how to fix it :)

Risa
 melaniej - Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:57 pm

Hello

I don't understand..If you test positive on TTG with 50 and negative in the rest you should rule out Celiac disease??

I am so confused on this whole blood test thing..What is the acccurate dx??

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here