News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: crohns disease

bgeobar3 - Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:32 am

have crohns disease. since 1978 been inactive(had ileostomy done and never had another problem) . now desides to revisit me.....
Forgot alot about the symtoms and problems..
aren't you more able to get colds etc as your immune system does not function correctly? so if you have cuts or scrapes you could get infections more easily?
get tired more easily? :(

DeLWolcott - Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:51 am

I can't confirm the general infection risks that you mention concerning colds and open wounds. However, treatment of the Crohn's suppress the immune system, causing greater risk for illness. I am wondering if the infection of cuts and scrapes you are referring to are the possible skin lesions that are associated with Crohn's.

Yes, you can tire more easily. Anemia is just one of the reasons that you could experience this. Also, joint pain and swelling is a symptom.

For a more thorough list you can visit the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America's website at http://www.ccfa.org.

Be sure to get to your physician concerning this as there have been many advances in treatment of Crohn's. My husband (an M.D.) has Crohn's also and I know how debilitating and depressing it can become to the patient and those around them since they can't help. I wish you the best and get to that doctor!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here