Question: crohns disease

bgeobar3 - Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:32 am

have crohns disease. since 1978 been inactive(had ileostomy done and never had another problem) . now desides to revisit me.....
Forgot alot about the symtoms and problems..
aren't you more able to get colds etc as your immune system does not function correctly? so if you have cuts or scrapes you could get infections more easily?
get tired more easily? :(

DeLWolcott - Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:51 am

I can't confirm the general infection risks that you mention concerning colds and open wounds. However, treatment of the Crohn's suppress the immune system, causing greater risk for illness. I am wondering if the infection of cuts and scrapes you are referring to are the possible skin lesions that are associated with Crohn's.

Yes, you can tire more easily. Anemia is just one of the reasons that you could experience this. Also, joint pain and swelling is a symptom.

For a more thorough list you can visit the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America's website at http://www.ccfa.org.

Be sure to get to your physician concerning this as there have been many advances in treatment of Crohn's. My husband (an M.D.) has Crohn's also and I know how debilitating and depressing it can become to the patient and those around them since they can't help. I wish you the best and get to that doctor!

|