Question: Abbdominal Distention and pain

Lydia - Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:06 pm

Hi. I am a 32 year old female and I have had abdominal distention, usually generalized abdominal pain and cramping, low grade fever (consistently around 100 degrees), fatigue, paleness, headache, shortness of breath, dizziness, for over 6 weeks now. The distention does not go away, although my abdomen is softer some of the time. I am most comfortable lying down, and any standing or walking for more than 20 minutes leaves me unable to stand up fully and increases the pain and my inability to breath normally. I have been abnormally thirsty, craving water. I have had inconsistent bowel movements, which have included diaherria and rock hard bowel movements within the same day. I have had 3 CT scans that have shown:
-Mild hypo density/lesion in the left lobe of the liver and a sub centimeter hypo dense lesion within the lower portion of the right lobe, small hypo density in the liver tip measuring 4.6 mm
-Prominent left ovary, with a large left ovarian cyst measuring 2.58 x 1.79 cm, with no free fluid seen in the pelvis.
-Atelectasis seen in the lung bases posteriorly/dependently left greater than right.

I went 4 days later for an ultrasound of the ovarian cyst, and it could not be located. I have had a barium enema, colonoscopy, and ultrasound of my appendix and gallbladder. They have not been able to figure this out yet. In addition to numerous blood tests(including CA 125) and blood cultures, all of which came back within normal ranges. I have seen 4 GI Dr's, my internal med Dr, and my OB\GYN Dr. Do you have any suggestions as to what this may be or what I might suggest we test for next? This has adversely affected my life, and I feel as though I am getting worse. I have days that I can barely get out of bed.
 R. Zein, Pharm D - Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:33 am

User avatar symptoms of abdominal pain, bloating, abdomen distention, and constipation/diarrhea, could be indicative of Irritable bowel syndrom or IBS, very common in women.
you might need to talk to your doctor about this, ....your headaches could have been caused by constipation, shortness of breath, and other symptoms could have been induced by the fact that you are very stressed out about your symptoms, and the anxiety that you have.

if this is what you have, IBS, there is a new drug that has been recently approved by the FDA for the management of these symptoms in women, called ZELNORM.

and i hope you get to feel better
thank you
 Lydia - Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:22 pm

Thank you so very much for taking the time to reply and assist me. Unfortunately, they have ruled out IBS. I have now had a colonoscopy, MRI, and an upper GI, all of which don't show anything. Except for the MRI, which shows that my L4,L5 discs, which were torn previously, have gotten worse and I have disc bulge in another area. Now I am off to an Infectious Disease Doctor, a Neurosurgeon, and my OB/GYN for a biopsy of my ovaries. Hopefully it is my back injury causing all of this. Although, my general Dr seriously doubts that this is the case. And, he also has no earthly clue as to what is wrong with me. Or where to send me next if these last attempts fail. He said that he will probably turn me over to Emory for them to poke and prode around.

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to help me. You provide an invaluable service.

Lydia

|