Question: need advice, surgery or not???

glam12 - Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:22 pm

hi, i really hope someone replies to this before sept. 16 2005 as i am having gallbladder surgery. here is a list of my symptoms and what tests i have had run. i am female, 32, 5'3", 125 lbs. for the past two years i feel like i have a constant blob under my lower right rib cage, more noticable when i am sitting. the past 6 months i have had episodes after eating something where i become very ill, i have only thrown up once because of it, but just generally feel sick for a week or so after i have one of these episodes. the first time i got sick was after i had eaten a hot dog and woke up sick the next morning, the second time i had a bacon egg biscuit. when the pain starts, it feels like my right side is cramping and burns into my back in the kidney area. my spine hurts directly behind my stomach, burning. i get slight pains more pressure than anything in my back around my shoulder blades. after these episodes, i am usually sick for a week or more, everything i eat makes me nauseous, water even disaggrees with me. i have had a gallbladder ultrasound which showed no stones or they were too small to notice. a hida scan which showed my gallbladder ejection fraction was 27%. a ct scan which showed no abnormalities, and an endoscopy that showed gastritis. my questions are:

1. is it normal for a slow functioning gallbladder to cause constant nausea and no matter what i eat makes me feel ill for a week or more then i get lined out?
2. there are some days where i can eat the greasiest fattiest thing i can find and have no problems but eat something not so greasy and fat and get sick. why?
3. i read that one person had there gallbladder hida scan the first time it was functioning at 54% the next time 97% why would that be and is that common?
4. is it normal to have a constant bloated feeling under my right rib cage with gallbladder problems?
5. should i go ahead with the surgery and hope that having it removed makes it all better and if not then move on to another set of tests?
6. what other tests are there that i could have ran?
7. if i go through with the surgery how can i avoid getting the chronic diarrhea that some people get.
i am a light smoker when i smoke a cigarette the pain in my right side gets more noticable and more achy. i am scared to have this surgery and it not be my gallbladder.
i don't know if this past weekf i have been overly anxious about my surgery, but my abdomen is now burning as well as my mid back. could stress be causing this or something else? thanks for any input!!!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:27 am

User avatar Hi glam12,
The definitive test to detect gallbladder dysfunction or sluggishness is the Hida Scan. Although there may be episodes when symptoms present themselves and then subside. Once dysfunctional or diseased it doesn't return to a normal functioning state and the recommended procedure is removal. Symptoms do generally worsen over time. Nausea, vomiting, bloated feeling especially in the right upper quadrant, pain in the upper abdomen, pain radiating to the upper right chest and shoulder blade etc. etc. Foods high in fat content, stressful episodes usually preceeds an attack. If it has been recommended for you the have your gallbladder removed I am in agreement. Good Luck to you!

|