Question: Abdominial pains

Joe M - Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:45 pm

Hi. I am a 27 year old male and have been having various pains for around 1 month now. They started as testicular pains that affected either or both testes at any time, with no 'action' that seemed to start the pains. A week or so after these pains began, I also started getting abdominal pains, just above my pubic region, on either the left or right side. Can anyone give me some input on this matter?

Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:30 pm

User avatar Dear Joe M,

Testicular pain or a discomfort felt in one or both testicles can be due to many causes. The pain usually radiates to the pelvis (supra pubic)

Common causes include:
Injury : even very mild injury can lead to a significant testicular pain.
Testicular torsion occurs mainly in young boys and is considered a medical emergency condition.
Infections are of major consideration and should be treated properly, they include:
Epididymitis caused by chlamydia, a sexually transmitted disease that affects the ducts that transfere sperms from the tests.
Orchitis caused by bacteria or viruses, affects the testicles.
Orchitis, epididymitis and prostatitis (inflammation of the prostate gland) can occur concomitantly, when the infection is not treated properly and spreads to other parts.
When there is a fluid collection inside the epididymis or inside the scrotum, surrounding the testicle, a discomfort feeling in the scrotum is the main symptom and swelling is felt according to the amount of fluid collected inside.
Varicocele a condition in which the veins inside the scrotum are dilated, is another cause of discomfort feeling or pain in the scrotum.
Hernia is another common cause of scrotal and pelvic pain that should be checked.

Complete history, physical examination and investigations are the only way to reach proper diagnosis and treatment. So, I advise you to take an appointment with your doctor to reach the correct diagnosis.

|