Question: abdominal pain at night...

Synergie - Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:21 pm

Hi...

I was just wondering if I could get an opinion or someone to shed a light on what could possibly cause this:

I have noticed that during the nights (not every night) , I will wake up in the middle of the night with very bad pains in my abdomen - I can't really pinpoint except to say upper?? It is actually so bad I cant stand up straight.... so I get out of bed, and hobble to the bathroom all bent over clutching my stomach. Usually if I urinate it feels like a bit of pressure is released, but thats all I usually notice. Then I go back to bed.... usually I still can feel the pain. Then when I wake up in the morning, the pain is usually gone. I never have it during the day.

As I said its intermittent... the last time I had it... lasted for about a week and almost every night. I was subjected to xrays, and ultrasound... they thought it might be my gallbladder. That came up negative, and they put me on Pantaloc which seemed to help a bit but not alot. Then after a week it just kind of went away.

Its happened several times since then, and I never bothered to go back to see anyone... after all during the days I am fine. I notice it about once a week or so. The pain is so intense when it wakes me up that my forehead even gets sweaty! I just don't understand how by the morning time,.... its gone.

I am wondering if maybe it could be just gas?? Could it maybe build up during the night and then wake me up? It does kind of feel like it could be gas.....

Anyway.... feel kind of wierd posting this but if anyoen can shed some light it would be appreciated!

Catherine Fergerson - Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:36 am

actually I have something similar. At least I think. Ever so often at night, and only at night I am woken up by upper abdominal pain, and it even goes all the way around to my back, it makes me very nauseus and can last hours. Finally when the pain goes away I can go back to sleep. In fact I am up tonight because of it. Its now 6:30 Am and I have been up because of it since 2:40AM.

This has been going on for 2 months. Its not every day but it comes and goes. I thought at first maybe I was pregnaunt so after seeing a gynecologist and coming out negative, I have no idea where to turn. Sometimes the pain is very bad and all I can do is clutch my tummy and moan. What can cause this and what can I do about it?
 Synergie - Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:06 am

I just woke up again with this myself in fact...

The pain is upper abdominal, more towards the left side and to the center and about an inch or two below my last rib. It is very intense and actually kind of throbs if that makes sense. For me it kind of feels like if I empty my bladder or something it will lessen it a bit but not get rid of it. If I go back to sleep it will be gone by the time I wake up again usually. Or if I get up and go about my daily business it will subside on its own after a bit.

Its such a mystery...
 Catherine Fergerson - Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:43 pm

Just wanted to let you know, After horrible pain last night and an hour of sleep I went to the emergency room. They found out that I have an ulcer, and a bad bladder infection. If it gets really bad for you and you have similiar syptoms to mine, you should see a doctor right away it could be an Ulcer.

|