News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: pain in abdomin and constipation

lwill - Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:01 am

I have gone to my physician for months regarding the trouble I have had with constipation and they just blew the issues off. I went to my OBGYN because I don't know what else to do!! I will go a week without a bowel movement and I usually only go then if I take a laxative and I have pains in my abdomin and sometimes I get pains in my chest area b/n my breasts. This has been going on for some time now and my OBGYN gave me Zelnorm to help me go to the bathroom and then I am going back in 2 week for a recheck. When my OBGYN did a pelvic exam it was extemely painful on my side areas where my ovaries are located but he said that he could not even feel my ovaries because of the build up but I am very concerned because on my father's side of the family there is a history of cervical cancer and I just wanted some extra advice.

Thanks!!!
 Tiger1440 - Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:55 pm

Have you tried taking Metamucil? It is over the counter and can help to regulate your stools. Also drinking plenty of water helps to keep you regular. Have you ever heard of irritable bowel syndrom (IBS). This is a fairly common disorder in which the intestines become inflamed and it could cause either diarrhea or constipation. It can be extremely painful at times. In fact sometimes the cramping from it can be worse than some of the worst menstrual cramps. If you do have this, then the Metamucil should help you. Unfortunately, IBS is a chronic condition and all you can do is treat the symptoms.
 krissyleewicked - Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:43 pm

Hello Iwill-

I agree with the RN above as far as the metamucil for constipation - it mixes well with chocolate pudding and also yogurt..kinda thick with juices. Anyway if that one is too unpleasant for you Citrucel clear mix has almost no taste and mixes very well with juices. Prune juice, prunes and figs are also great to eat and have a natural laxative effect. If this doesnt help I would follow up with your GAstroenterologist, They can do something called a Sitz marker test where u swallow some markers and they take xrays of your colon to see if things are passing through your system in a timely fashion. Hope you are feeling better and your issue resolves.

K.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here