Question: Left side abdominal pain

mstress - Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:09 pm

I have been having left side abdominal pain for years, a little above my belly button to the left. It ONLY hurts when pressed. I can't even wear pants that aren't altered. I have no GI symptoms, just the pain. The pain seems close to the surface, but yet my back will hurt when it's aggravated. OTC pills won't touch the pain, but tylenol with codeine will. I've had a CT scan, ultrasound, and other tests that were all normal. The drs. seem stumped. I hope someone can please help me. Thank-you.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:04 pm

User avatar Abdominal pain is a nonspecific symptom for many medical conditions. That is why more informations about the character of the pain are always needed to reach the diagnosis.

These informations include:
the site, the time of onset, duration of pain or the course of the pain, nature of pain e.g.dull, crampy etc, and any associated symptom or possible precipitating factors.

In general pain felt in the left side of the abdomen as you mentioned can be due to many causes including:
Excess gas and distension
Indigestion
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Renal problems
Recurrent abdominal pain can be a somatization for emotional or psychological problems.
Colitis

All the investigations you have done showed no abnormalities, I assume that all needed investigations to rule out these medical problems are proved to be negative. Thus, either it is due to:
IBS, in which the diagnosis is done mainly by exclusion of other causes, but patients of IBS usually complian of bouts of alternating diarrhea and constipation.
Or a somatization for any emotional problem
or you need to be rechecked from time to time to see if any changes in your results will occur.

A very remote possibility is to be of muscle origin (myalgia).

In any case once you notice any change in your symptoms or the condition is becoming worse you have to visit your doctor and take his consultation.

|