Question: Excessive gas and increase frequency to urinate. Please help

tiredsoul - Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:59 am

Over a year back i had a sever stomach upset which lasted about 3-4 days. After that i have regularly had excessive gas, at first it was gas and belching as well, intime the belching stopped, howevre aboud 5-6 months back, frequency in urination suddenly increased as well, some days were good some were bad, i think both are connected.
I very often get stomach aches and feel hnugry in the mornings and when the stomach ache is there on touching the abdomen i get pain. I have done urine tests and stool tests and nothing has come up on those. I occasionally get loose motions as well,however that is very irregular. Due to the frequency in urinatinon the foreskin of the penis has also started to get irritable and affected. Please do advice me if anyone has heard of anything like this and if the two would be related or unrelated ?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:42 pm

User avatar Gas and burping are not considered a health problem although they cause many disturbance especially when you are in public. They are part of the presenting symptoms in many GI related disorders.

Causes include:
- Abdominal pain, associated with Gas, Bloating and irregular bowel movements is more likely to be due to IBS. Cramp abdominal pain, often relieved by defecation is a typical symptom of IBS.
The disease is believed to be due to autonomic dysfunction or hormonal imbalance that can be easily controlled by simple changes in the lifestyle, diet.
Commonly people who have IBS complaint of
Abdominal pain or colic
A bloated abdomen
Gaseous distension
Either Diarrhea or Constipation or an alternating between both of them
Certain types of foods contain, chocolate, milk and alcohol might aggravate the condition
Stress increases the frequency and the severity of symptoms in almost all cases.
Super added infectious GI attack will worsen also the symptoms.

--The symptoms and signs of IBS are very non specific and shared by many other conditions affecting the GI tract like GERD, Gastritis (for which you have a past history) , Gall bladder diseases.

GERD and gastritis present with burning pain in upper abdomen (mainly left side) or lower chest (behind the breast bone) that worsen when the stomach is empty , or by spicy foods is more likely to be of heart burn, GERD or gastric ulcer. The pain is temporary relieved by simple foods and antacids.

The urinary frequency is not related to any of these conditions (to my knowledge), But you better check your blood sugar level and do a urine analysis and culture.

Only by complete history , physical examination and investigations , the correct diagnosis can be reached. I advise you to consult your doctor for proper management.

chickblix123 - Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:41 am

I am a 30 year old female and |I am suffering and in bed today, I have been diagnosed with IBS about six years ago with my GP i didnt have tests they figured it was diet related. my symptoms vary as does the length of time I have it. I worry that it might be something else. can u help me please. these are my smptoms:
feeling nauseous, bloated, extremely tired sleepy and no energy, gasy, belchy sometimes or maybe both, bad taste in mouth,runny stools. feeling full today so not eating, lightheaded and general feeling unwell

|