News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Pain in gut on right side

robshow - Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:32 pm

I've been experiencing regular, mild pain in the lower right quadrant of my GI tract (between groin and belly button) for several weeks. Sometimes the pain is more severe and sometimes less.

I have no other symptoms, except for probably unrelated, constant pain in right side of chest - had the treadmill with dye and nothing was found to be wrong with my heart.

Anyway, I'm concerned that the lower belly pain could be appendicitis, but I have no other symptoms. No fever, no nausea, and my appetite is stronger than ever. I have a history of IBS, so stomach pain, distension, and gas pains are not uncommon for me, but this pain is different, more like a "sore" spot in my gut.
 Dr. Russell M - Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:42 pm

User avatar Hi!

Only a clinical examination of your abdomen can help your doctor determine whether the exact point of tenderness is that of appendicitis (called McBurney point). The doctor might also want to know if a 'rebound' tenderness is present. Usually an appendicitis presents with nausea or vomiting or fever, not associated with diarrhea or constipation. An increased heart rate also points towards an inflammatory process building up.

Your doctor might want to run a blood test on you to determine if you have an increased white cell count, which again balances towards an infective episode. A CT scan can determine if the appendix is indeed inflamed.

The danger of keeping an appendicitis is because it has the potential to perforate, which may lead to a life-threatening peritonitis. Appendectomy is the procedure of removing the same to avoid complications.

The mortality risk of acute appendicitis is less than 0.1%. The rate of perforation varies from 16-40%, with a higher frequency occurring in younger age groups (40-57%) and in patients older than 50 years (55-70%) in whom misdiagnosis and delayed diagnosis are common.

Other conditions like diverticulitis, ileitis, and crohn may also present similarly, especially in the elderly.

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,

Bill

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here