Question: help me please...Ulcer?

Catherine Fergerson - Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:59 pm

I have been to the emergency room several times. The first time they said Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding. The second time I had to go back I have pain at night it wakes me up hurts my upper stomache area and right side including my back. It lasts anywhere between 2-8 hours. This happens to me maybe 4-6 times a week and really hurts my sleeping since I can only get 1-2 hours at night. I went in and they said pregnauncy, then gallbladder and narrowed it down to a Peptic Ulcer. A few days later, last night around 6 pm I started to get a lot of pain in the same areas, but then the areas grew. It hurt from the middle of my breasts all the way down to my belly button and my entire back. It was so painful all I could do is moan and cry. My husband called the ambulance and I went to the emergency room. They tried to take blood, 12 different times in different areas but it kept clotting. Finally they got one vial out but couldnt get an area open for an IV to give me pain medicenes. One nurse finally got an IV working and dosed me up on pain medicene. I had a cat scan done and they said they found nothing. The doctor asked me all about stress and I told him I really don't have any. But other than that he sent me back home. I had a bladder infection my second trip to the hospital on top of the Peptic Ulcer and finished the anitbiotics for it yesterday which gave me a yeast infection on top of things. I am taking Famotidine 40 MG each night before bed, but I still wake up in pain. What can I do about this pain and is it normal?
 DeLWolcott - Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:49 pm

How did they come to the conclusion of peptic ulcer?
What antibiotic did they put you on for your bladder infection?
Have you gained/lost weight since these symptoms have begun?
Do the symptoms get better or worse after eating?
Does milk help your symptoms?

That last question...I am not suggesting that this is a remedy as milk increases gastric production in the stomach, but try it a time or two to see if this alleviates the pain at all. Ulcer pain can radiate throughout the torso, with the pain bad enough to make a person tense up every muscle in the back, shoulders and neck...plus pain throughout the chest. In elementary school would wake in the middle of the night in extreme pain and would lay my stomach across the cold edge of the bathtub. That was until I found milk fixed everything and never told my parents. 5 years later my family physician figured out something was going on and I was then diagnosed with a duodenal ulcer, so I know exactly the pain you are experiencing. It is miserable.

Please give me a little more information and hopefully I can give you some questions to ask your doctor on your next visit.
 Catherine Fergerson - Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:42 pm

The 2nd trip to the hospital the doctor just came right out and said peptic ulcer. He offered me no tests or proof. Which I thought was a bit odd.
The antibiotic they put me on is Ciproflaxcn 250 MG twice a day.
Since these symptoms have begun 2 months ago I have lost weight approximately 7-9 lbs.

It seems that they get worse with eating. Anytime I put anything at all in my stomache it starts to hurt soon after for hours. In fact I tried to eat a bit of plain pasta earlier and I am now in pain. Pain seems to be constant, night and now day.

I have been told to try some milk but it doesn't seem to relieve any of the pain or symptoms at all. I was also told to try a anti-acid like Milanta, but it doesn't seem to work.

Other than that I go through pain every day and its been effecting my sleep all the time. The only thing that took the pain away at all was when they gave me an IV with pain medication last night. I have tried laying on my stomache as well but it makes it hurt more, touching it at all hurts. I have also tried baths and heating pads and it used to relieve some of the pain but it has not been working for a week or so now.

I don't have any insurance and can hardly afford a doctor on my husbands salary, so I have no idea where to turn now. All I know is it hurts almost all the time and interferes in everything I try to do, eat, sleep or go to school :(
 DeLWolcott - Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:53 pm

Ugh. I hate it when the milk test doesn't work.

From your weight loss and pain with eating, it does sound more like a peptic ulcer than a duodenal. Although, the diagnosis without proper testing still leaves the need for proof.

Cipro, I hate to say, could really disrupt the stomach and intestines, as a lot of antibiotics tend to do. Hopefully you have been off of that for a while and the famotidine could really begin to help.

Do you take the 40mg in one dose? If so, consider taking 20mg once in the morning (30 minutes before eating) and the other 20mg before supper or bedtime.

If things do not improve, you should be tested for H-pylori, which has been found to be a common bacteria in persons suffering from ulcers. The treatment for H-pylori can be a tad costly, but the results from treatment are amazing. Once the bacteria is gone, so is the stomach pain with very little chance of return.

I wish I could give you more information, but maybe I have at least supplied you with some questions you can ask your physician or their nurse concerning your symptoms. I wish you the best!
 Catherine Fergerson - Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:57 am

Well I was omitted to the er through ambulance Saturday night early Sunday Morning. They did an ultra sound while I was having the most servere pain ever. They found several stones, Gallstones that is and my gallbladder was very inflammed. They called in an emergency surgery group to have it taken out. I came home yesterday but am expierencing pain all over. Is this normal? Maybe from the anastliology? I feel muscle pain, very servere in my thinghs and my neck. It makes it even harder to get up and down and strains all of my muscles. I am feeling a bit better, well not having the gallbladder pain which was the worst pain I think anyone can go through, but still having servere pain in my tummy from the surgery. How long does the pain from the surgery last? Any information about gallbladder removal would be very helpful? Should I be on a strict diet for now too, nobody told me nothing lol They knocked me out for most of the night and I woke up with the surgery done.

|