Question: help me im so constipated!

josh_a_lim - Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:06 am

im a 20 yrs old male and i have porlems regarding constipation, this started when i was a young kid i usually ignore my urge to defecate i think i only defecate twice or thrice a week, until last year i noticed that im so constipated and im starting to develop a hemmorhoids so i researched about piles and constipation, how i can cure it and help my piles that is just small vanish, but i tried the natural approach to help myself, listed below are the counter measures i did against my constipation and piles: Very high fiber diet
i drink at the least 5 liters of water every day
i eat high fiber food like vegetables anf diffrent fruits
i don't eat rice at dinner at most of the time and i eat only oatmeal as part of loosing my weight
i don't eat beef particularly coz i believe that it cant easily be digeted by our body
i drink soya milk or i eat soya pudding at least every other day
i am trimming down my weight right now coz im overweight
i do drink everyday psyllium husk as a fiber supplement thats before but now i stopped drinking it everyday coz im afraid i might get dependent on it so i drink it occasionally and when i only feel constipated
but the problem is even if im having a high fiber diet i still get constipated frequently, coz sometimes my stool are hard and my hemmorhoids protrude, but i can insert it back (it is only when im very strained that my piles protrude) and i guess i don't feel most of the time the urge to defecate. now i defecate usually four times a week, is it right that i really don't feel the urge that much and i don't defecte everyday and last why is my stool sometimes hard even if im having a high fiber diet?

krissyleewicked - Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:43 am

HI Josh-a -lim-

I am not a doctor, but I am a dietitian who has worked in health care for years.

Sorry you are having this problem- it is not fun !! Sound like you are doing the right thing as far as fluids and fiber. The particular fiber supplement you were taking ( with psyllium) is safe to use long term so I wouldnt worry about dependence. It is your stimulant laxatives ( like ex-lax, dulcolax, etc)..that are bad for your bowel long term. You can safely use psyllium, metamucil or Citrucel everyday if you choose. My personal favorite is Citrucel clear mix..It does not have that horrible taste like some of the other supplements. Also you could use a stool softener to help with the hemmmoroids like Colace. Since you like the more natural approach you could try a probiotic to help your system with re-extablishing the good bacteria in the gut.

As far as food items, fruits like prunes, figs and dates have natural laxartive properties so include those. The oatmeal is good too. I would shoot for 5-7 servings of fruits and vegetables a day- sounds like you are doing this already.
Are you exercising??? That can also help. If your symptoms do not resolve you could consult a gastroenterologist.

good luck-

Krissy
 cindy27 - Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:26 pm

Hi!

I too have these problems. i have had problems with constipation since i was a kid. you might want to try taking whole flaxseeds. You can but it at a natural grocery store and i think they may have it at walmart, but it is too expensive there. try taking 2 or 3 spoonfuls every day with lots of water. it has helped me. i have also tried everything in the book, but nothing helped. i am still constipated, but without flaxseeds, water and fruit i would only go to the bathroom 1 or 2 times in a week and a half. i have also tried Zelnorm, it makes me sick at my stomach and you spend the whole day in the bathroom. i am not a doctor, but this has helped me.

I hope this hepls.

|