Question: SVR RUQ Pain...not the gall bladder..thats gone, already

Gut Punched - Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:04 pm

Severe point pain in right upper quadrant after laying down. Some pain reflected to right side, but not to back. cycles for 2-4 hours, usually 30 mins off/on.

Gall Bladder removed. Microscopic Coilitis and IBD diagnosed- had bleeding 2 times initially, no bleeding in 4 years. Thin build 150#-70"tall- 43 yrs old. Adapted diet to high fiber, no caffein, low fats, little red meat, no alcohol etc with good results for 4 years.

Except for high cholesterol, but with very high (good) ratio, all test results are normal.

Upon Gall Bladder extraction microscpoic cyrstals found in gall bladder, but surgeon did not test.

I have to be carefull with Lomotil as this has triggered problem. Symptoms occur without any meds. Applied heat sometimes helps.

Pain sometimes brings me close to losing conscienceness, but has been very infrequent. Recent trip to ER showed tests normal and was handled with Bentle which did not help. ER Dr believes it's from spasms of colon~IBD.

Applied heat sometimes helps.

What about billiary tube problem, pancreas, stones in pancreas, other? What can I do?

Any ideas would be appreciated! :idea: :?: :!: :P
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:59 am

User avatar Hi Gut Punched,
Sometimes stones may become lodged in the common bile duct which may cause severe pain very similar to a gallbladder attack. If this is the type of pain you are experiencing you may want to inquire about an ERCP (Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography).
 Gut Punched - Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:00 pm

Rntdj,

Thank you very much for your reply. That sounds like a very reasonable approach. My thought is that the stone (or crystals) passes and then it becomes undetecable. Maybe a GI doc could set it up so that I have the procedure once the symptoms start.

The surgeon who removed the gall bladder remarked in his write up that it took some time get to the gall bladder and the bile duct was long (or elongated or irregular in some manner), but did not address it as a major issue.

Do you agree that it would not be pancreas unless the pain is reflected to the back?

Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:26 am

User avatar Hi Gut Punched,
The pancreatic duct and common bile duct join together just before the opening of the duodenum (small intestine). So essentially, a stone in either area may cause considerable pain from biliary colic/spasms. Pancreatitis may cause mild to severe abdominal pain, fever, nausea, vomiting. The location of pain is generally in the same area is that of a gallbladder attack, (upper abdomen, may radiate to back and chest). If pancreatitis is suspected, labwork will often be abnormal. The pancreatic enzymes, for example, (amylase) is typically elevated as is liver enzymes, glucose levels, etc. Aside from labwork, other tests used to diagnose pancreatitis are ultrasound, and or CT scan.
I hope this information is helpful.
 Gut Punched - Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:54 pm

Labs have been normal. I'm thinking that its the duct or perhaps spasm within the ascending (?) colon. If its stones then theres a reason for the stones which is from some imbalance or diet. I've learned to control the diet (fats, high sugars ABSOLUTELY NO CAFFEINE ).

Yes, that helps alot. Thank you.
 rtraddatz - Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:18 am

I don't understand what happens every time I drink alcohol. I use to drink alot as every teen 21-25 does.. however I do not drink that much anymore. I use to beable to go out and drink several drinks and shots and never get sick...unless of course the obvious was I had to much. Now I can go out and it doesn't matter if I have 1 drink or 4 I still get sick. In the last year I've gone out 5 times and every time I've tried switching drinks to something else thinking it's something in the mixture of the drink. I went out and had to strawberry daquaries last week at dinner and I woke up at 4am feeling hot and sweaty and I had to throw up. I threw up from 4am -2:30pm. THe thing is I only throw up bile.. a yellowish nasty acidic tasting stuff. I try to drink sprite or eat some toast but it comes right back up. It seems like I will throw up almost every half hour and wow the headache it creates!! I try to think no I'm fine this isn't happening again but I can't get the feeling to go away. After I vomit I will feel better for about 25min and then my stomach on the left lowe side starts tightening up and gets painful and then I get hot and sweaty andhave to run to the bathroom again. I have read that it might have something to do with my gall bladder but don't understand what is going on???? Please help I don't know if this is just my que that I should not drink or if something is wrong. I am getting married in September and want to know if I'm going to beable to have a glass of champaigne at the dinner toast or if that's going to make me ill for my gift opening the next day. Please Help!! THANK YOU!!

|