News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: lower right back pain

joni - Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:26 pm

I've had lower right back pain for years. It comes on about 2 hours after I eat and very slowing goes away the longer I go without food. It radiates more to the middle right back as is goes away. Somagram showed I had multiple polyps in the gallbladder and so it was removed. I still have the problem. Another set of X-rays and CAT scan show a left kidney stone that is a little larger now but I have no pain on the left side. Radioalogy report says my liver is normal even though it has a cavernous hemangioma 16mm diameter or something like that.

I don't have nausea after eating.

I had a colonoscopy also and they said I was good and didn't need to come back for a long time.

Still I think I have an ulcer or something in the intestines or colon.

Is that possible?

What is the most possible cuase?

I am having the left kidney stone zapped next just in case that makes the right side pain go but the right side pain only comes on worse 2 hours after eating.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:40 pm

User avatar Dear joni,

Patients with symptoms after cholecystectomy similar to cholecystitis or gall bladder disease are known to have postcholecystectomy syndrome (PCS).

PCS is caused by alterations in bile flow as a result of removal of the gallbladder. The inappropriate bile flow leads to esophagitis and gastritis and or in others, diarrhea and colicky lower abdominal pain.

Causes include:
Residual or reformed gallbladder
Sphincter of Oddi dyskinesia, spasm, or hypertrophy
Sphincter of Oddi stricture

Investigations include:
Upper endoscopies and an ERCP with sphincter of Oddi manometry are of the requested investigation to check for such problems.
An abdominal ultrasound to evaluate the liver, biliary tract, pancreas should be done.

Followup with your physician is mandatory. Keep us updated.

Hope you find these information useful.
Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here