News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Is a colonoscopy definitive?

fishplateowner - Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:41 am

3 mos ago I experienced a change in bowel habits - tan colored, narrow stool (with extruded look sides), occasional diarrhea, occasional floaters, plus I am gassy in the evening. I see no blood, have no nausea, pain or fatigue, urine color is normal.
I do have a colonoscopy scheduled.
The GI dr I consulted, doesn't think I really need a colonoscopy, even though I thought at 50 (I'm 51) people should get one. Instead he told me how expensive the procedure is (I have no insurance) and blamed my symptoms on a change in eating habits. Actually I tried to change my eating habits after experiencing the symptoms. I don't like this guy, but he's the only GI at the hospital which will give me a 30% discount.

Question: If the colonoscopy finds nothing, should I accept my symptoms as my new normal or ???

Thanks in advance for your reply.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:07 pm

User avatar Hello,

Colonoscopy allow visualization of the large colon mucosa lining and if any suspected lesions are seen biopsy is taken. An expertise can tell if there is nothing to worry about or if any lesion is suspicious for further investigations.
Some disease that can give similar clinical picture to your symptoms affect mainly the small bowel and can not be diagnosed by colonoscopy instead an upper endoscopy of barium follow through is used.

Some disease that can give similar clinical picture to your symptoms affect mainly the small bowel and can not be diagnosed by colonoscopy instead an upper endoscopy of barium follow thorugh is used.

It is posible that your symptoms are part of Irritable Bowel Syndrome IBS.

Commonly people who have IBS complain of
Abdominal pain or colic
A bloated abdomen
Either Diarrhea or Constipation or an alternating between both of them

Stress and infections in the GI tract increase the frequency and the severity of IBS symptoms in almost all cases. Indeed

Observe your habits and any associated changes in your symptoms accordingly may help in identifying the main cause.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here