Question: Excessive bloating/fullness

Lukey - Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:16 pm

Hello

There are a couple of things that I have been having trouble with that may or may not be related.
I am 21 years old and lately, for the past 4 months, my appetite has not been anywhere near to what it used to be. When I eat (sometimes even only a small amount of food) I get full and can feel excessively full or bloated. It seems to take a long long time for me to feel hungry or even just to feel my stomach to calm down. One of the first times I felt it, I ate a Greek dinner and could barely finish when I began to feel extremly full, even though I had not eaten in a while before that. It took about 6 hours before my stomach seemed to calm down and felt comfortable again. When I feel this way it can get hard to take a full breath and I just feel very uncomfortable.

One problem that I have been having for a long time, (I can't remember when it started but pretty much for as long as I can remember, at least 12 years) is that I take an extremly long time to have a bowel movement, anywhere between 15 min or more often close to 45 min. It's not easy to find a good time to do this since I know it will take a while and it is interfering with work and school. I eat the same foods as my parents do and they don't seem to have this problem...along with everybody else I know.

I don't think i can describe any other symptoms with certainty. I went to the doctor before but they seemed to focuse on the fact that i was having breathing problems and some chest discomfort/pain. I had a lung function test and chest x-rays that both turned up negative. I am desperate for some answers and would appreciate any answers and advice.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:08 pm

User avatar Dear Lukey,

From your messages, your symptoms could be related to SLE. You mentioned that you have been tested positive for it.

Lupus associated Gastrointestinal symptoms include:

Lupus can cause GERD due to abnormal muscle function in the esophagus leading to swallowing problems and acid reflux. It can affect any part of the GI tract.

Intestinal affection results in lose diarrhea and weight loss.
Pancreatitis (less often) which manifest as abdominal pain and vomiting.

Excess gas and Bloat abdomen are commonly seen in individuals with GERD and IBS.

Lupus causes also breathing problems and chest pain.

I advise you to consult your Rheumatolgist for proper management.

Hope you find this information useful.Keep us updated.

|