Question: lower-right side constant pain going through to butt and hip

concerned2 - Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:09 pm

I am a 44 year old female and have had problems for a while. I have had my appendics and gall bladder removed. When they removed my appendics they thought my terminal illeum looked like I had Crohn's. Recently I have developed a feeling of something rubbing and constant dull pain on my lower right side. I have always had diharea but has changed to constipation for the last month. My stools are thin and ribbon like. When I push on my lower right side it feels swollen and has a pulsating feeling. When I sleep on my stomach and move during the night I am woken up by a sudden ripping pain until I finish moving. What could this be? They want to do a colonoscopy but I don't like them and would rather not. Please let me know what you think.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:10 pm

User avatar Dear concerned2,

You probably experience a form of IBS.
IBS is one of the most common disorders that is seen in the clinic.

The disease is not due to inflammation in the wall of the GI and is believed to be due to autonomic dysfunction or hormonal imbalance, that can be easily controlled by simple changes in the lifestyle, diet.

Commonly people who have IBS complaint off
A bloated abdomen
Gaseous distension
Abdominal pain or colic
Either Diarrhea or Constipation or an alternating between both of them

Certain types of foods contain, chocolate, milk and alcohol might cause Constipation or Diarrhea
Stress increases the frequency and the severity of symptoms in almost all cases.
Super added infectious GI attack will worsen also the symptoms.

Although the diagnosis of IBIS is primarily made on complete history and physical examination, some tests may be recommended by some doctors to confirm the diagnosis and to differentiate them from other Inflammatory bowel diseases like Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis that give similar picture.

These tests include Colonoscopy and Flexible sigmoidoscopy can be requested for visualization of the entire large intestine (colon) or the lower part of it (sigmoid colon) respectively.
Computerized tomography (CT) scan of the abdomen help to rule out other causes.

Take an appointment to visit your doctor, for better examination and evaluation.

|