News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Pain under rib cage HELP

volcom426 - Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:15 pm

Hello, Well im 25 year old male and for the past 2 months I have had a pain in my right
side under my rib cage more towards the back than the front. The pain has got me up
in the middle of the nite a few time and I will get up and walk around and it will kinda go away. I can put my finger on exactly weres it coming from, but you cant just stick you finger into my side and make it hurt I have to move my stomach area like you using a hula-hoop and thats when i can feel it. It mostly bothers me the most right when I wake up in the morning and about 11:00 am it is pretty much gone. Also have alot of tenderness in my middle upper back. I know its probaly a torn muscle or something stupid
I just don't understand why it comes and goes and why it hurts more in the morning?And why it wont go away? Any information would be greatly appriciated and any questions for me I will get back right away. Thanks
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:39 am

User avatar Hi volcom426,
Whenever I hear a complaint of right upper quadrant abdominal pain that radiates around the upper back, the first thing that comes to mind is gallbladder dysfunction. If fatty foods, for example,seem to trigger your symptoms then I would be inclined to consider this to be a possible cause. My suggestion would be an evaluation by your physician who will most likely order some diagnostic studies to identify if this is actually your problem.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 volcom426 - Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:51 am

Would there be other problems if it was a gallbladder? Thank you for posting
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:59 am

User avatar Hi volcom426,
If you are inquiring about other symptoms, generally speaking, signs and symptoms of gallbladder dysfunction may include:
Nausea, vomiting, bloating, upper abdominal pain that feels like it's under the right rib cage, pain that radiates to the back, shoulder, chest. Episodes are usually preceeded by a meal high in fat content, and episodes of stress.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here