News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Sharp stabbing pain in left side below the heart

marunmx5 - Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:18 pm

Hi, i am 18 years old, male, I've been getting this sharp stabbing pain in my left side. I get the same pain in my right side too, that's where the liver is i guess, but not as often, about 4 times as less often. I get this pain in my left side when i don't eat anything for sometime, like lets say i didn't have breakfast i would get that pain at about 9 or 10 o'clock in the morning, and right after lunch like at 1 in the afternoon, almost everyday. And if i eat something fried, like french fries, or fried sunflower seeds, it's stabes really really hard, sometimes i would embaress my self in front of people, because im forced to scram when it stabes. And it stabes the most after i drink alcoholic beverge. And i am seriouse, it literly feels like somebody stabing with a knife. Could somebody tell me what it is, that would be really helpful. i've had it for about 2 years now, even though im used to it, i just wanna know, what it is, and if i can get it cured.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:10 pm

User avatar Sharp burning pain in upper abdomen (mainly left side) or lower chest (behind the breast bone) that worsen when the stomach is empty , or by spicy foods or carbonated beverages is more likely to be of one of the following conditions:
- GERD
- Gastritis due to H pylori or Drug induced (NSAID)
or gastric ulcer.
The pain is temporary relieved by simple foods and antacids.
- IBS may also give similar clinical picture, like
Abdominal pain or colic
A bloated abdomen
Gaseous distension
Either Diarrhea or constipation or an alternating between both of them
Certain types of foods contain, chocolate, milk and alcohol might cause constipation or diarrhea
Stress increases the frequency and the severity of symptoms in almost all cases.
Super added infectious GI attack will worsen also the symptoms.

Diagnosis of IBS is done by exclusion of other causes. Investigations include upper endoscopy and some specific tests for H. pylori.

Only by complete history , physical examination and investigations , the correct diagnosis can be reached. I advise you to consult your doctor for proper management.

Hope you find this information useful.
Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here