News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: iliocolic intussusception linked to salmonella??

shannan - Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:32 pm

I posted this in another forum as well, I hope no one minds.

In Aug my 3 (almost 4) year son was rushed into an emergency surgery to repair his intestines. Later lab results showed he also had Salmonella.

I have found online that intussusception not only is rare in this age of child but that it is caused by bacteria but have found nothing linking Salmonella bacteria to this online. I have however found bacterial menigitius being linked to this.

If menigitius which as I understand affects the spine/brain can cause this would'nt it make sense that salmonella which as I understand affects the intestines would as well?

Have there been any studies on this? I live in a small town in Ms and not only have the Dr's never seen this before but they're not very informative.

Thank you in advance,
Shannan
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:05 am

User avatar Dear Shannan,

Intussusception can be caused by really hyperactive bowel loop going into the next one. If the salmonella infectinon caused your son to get diarrhea before he gets the intussusception then this could have been the reason behind it. Any regular diarrhea can cause it too, does not have to be caused by salmonella.

Acutely, salmonella can cause food poisonning with diarrhea. If the infection was caused by a specific strain called salmonella typhi then your son would have develloped typhoid fever.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here