News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: bowel movement in sleep

hexalexa22 - Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:16 am

My boyfriend has recently had a bowel movement in his sleep. I know I will have a hard time getting him to a doctor, let alone talk to me about it. I know that this is also the second time that i know of that this has happened. He is really embarresed, but if this is a problem, then I want him to get help. He has mentioned hemmorroids, and diarreha. Is this something that he needs to go to a doctor about, or am I just being paraniod?
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 am

User avatar You should encourage your boyfriend to see a doctor. Having a bowel movement in his sleep isn't normal and should be looked into.
 Badheeb - Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:24 am

nocturnal diarrhea e.g that awaken the person from sleep is considered organic one & not psychological, so stool analysis is a must during the attack
 suesie1965 - Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:24 pm

I'm type1 diabetic and I'm 43 with the same problem "hexalexa22" boyfriend. I also have diabetic nueropathy. I've seen my Dr. about this and he mainly changed type of insulin on me. I'm just trying to figure out why it still happens occassionally.

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here