Question: Anal Bleeding after Toilet

poppuyo - Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:09 pm

Hi, I'm not exactly sure if this is in the right place or not (I hope it is in the right place.).
(Please forgive me if I am not precise in my choice of medical terms.) :)

Anyways, I have observed moderate amounts of blood every time go to the bathroom. The first (and only first) toilet paper I use to wipe my anus is when this actually happens. This has been happening for the last 2-3 days. I am male and 15 years old and 5'4" and 155 pounds. I believe that I am slightly overweight. I have no family history of any particular illnesses (like cancer or diabetes). When this occurs, I feel no pain whatsoever. I have no constipation or diarrhea either. The two pieces of evidence I can offer are:

1: I have been in pain because of my left knee after exercising strenuously (mile run) after a summer of almost no physical activity (aside from walking up and down the stairs at home). My doctor says this is a "microtear"(?).

2: I have some bulging (or "bumpy") blood vessels which show on the surface of my upper thigh. (My mother, an RN believes that this is because of my "overweightedness" and fat.

I would like to know (generally) what is going on with me and what your thoughts are on this subject.

Thank you, and I hope to get a reply back soon.
If you have any questions, please reply to this post. (I will reply back *Probably Tomorrow")

-=Lee=-
 poppuyo - Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:12 pm

Just wanted to add that my blood is not discolored or appearing odd in any way except for that fact that it is showing up on toilet paper.

Thank you.

P.S. Please help :cry:
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:57 pm

Fresh Blood in stools, are usually due to lower GI bleeding.

Causes include
- Hemorrhoids or piles, they represent the most common cause of lower GI bleeding, and are easy to be diagnosed by clinical examination. Anorectal fissures as well can result in Bleeding per rectum and are easily diagnosed.

- Inflammation of the mucosa lining the rectum or the rectum and colon a condition known as proctitis or proctocolitis respectively.
These conditions are either due to infectious diseases or non infectious disease as a part of inflammatory bowel disease (including Crohn's disease and Ulcerative colitis)
Infections include a variety of parasites and protozoa e. g. Entamoeba histolytica and Salmonella or
a part of sexually transmitted disease like herpes simplex and Chlamydia.
Diagnostic tests include stool analysis to check for parasites and protozoa. Samples are collected before receiving any medication and should be repeated for 3 times to find the possible organism causing the infection.

Other tests according to the suspected cause like segmoidoscopy and Colonoscopy to visualize the lining mucosa and take biopsy if needed.

- Irritable bowel syndrome IBS,
Commonly people who have IBS complain off
Abdominal pain or colic
A bloated abdomen
Gaseous distension
Either Diarrhea or Constipation or an alternating between both of them
Mucus or less commonly blood containing stools.

Other diseases that can give similar pictures to IBS and have to be excluded are Gastritis, GERD, and Peptic ulcer. But Blood in stools is usually occult and not fresh red.

- Polyps, diverticulosis and Colon cancer.
Colonoscopy is of choice in the diagnosis of these cases.

|