Question: Colitis....enough already

colitisfighter - Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:45 pm

I'm 25 years old and I've had colitis for 1 year now. It doesn't make any sense to me. For 24 years I lived in bliss and ate anything and everything I wanted. Then Colitis came out of left field. I'm now over the WHY ME phase and more about, how to contain this thing and maybe heal me. I take Asacol which sort of helps. I still go about 6 times a day. Mornings are the absolute worst...Anyone know why?

I've now turned to herbal remedies. I just started Bee Propolis so maybe nature can cure me. I've read many posts and some argue that we need "HARDCORE MEDICINE" like the Asacol I'm on...Well this disease is an auto immune disease. For some reason, my body is attacking my own body. So if it came out of nowhere after 24 years, I see no reason why it can't just go away. Seems logical. I guess I'm just looking for some comfort from other people. And I'd love to know why mornings are the worst.

Another thing I noticed is that when I exercise it seems to shutdown my stomach. It seems that once the adrenaline kicks in the colitis retreats. Too bad I can't exercise 24/7. Is 6 or 7 times a day a lot to go to the bathroom? Theres usually a tiny amount of blood and its partly solid. Man, I remember the glory days of going once and feeling satisfied. This past year has been harsh, but there are many worse diseases out there.

Is there better medicine than Asacol...I've seen a few doctors who think it's the least invasive and has the least amount of side affects. I guess I'm not sure if I'm doing everything I can do.

Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated. Why are my mornings awful?

Thanks for the help!
 FlippinFRACK - Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:50 pm

Unfortunately, I can give no help but I just realized how ironic this forum is. I have proctitis resulting in severe constipation. We both were carefree omnivores and now at still a young age ( 25 and 19) have problems with food. However, yours is because it sends you running and mine because after 15 or so days of eating and no stool you just don't get hungry any more. I celebrate a successful bathroom visit and yet you loathed the dreaded commode. Unfortunately, modern medicine is not an exact science, but we will have to just be patient and hopefully a cure will surface and all our questions will be answered.
 colitisfighter - Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:07 am

I'm not sure which I'd rather have. Going to the bathroom is annoying but can usually feel satisfying. I get a ton of reading done too. I can't really remember what it feels like to be constipated.

I will say this though, all the doctors I've seen say I can eat whatever foods I want because their is no proven correlation between colitis and food. Are these the same people who didn't think smoking cigarettes could cause bodily damage? Food and colitis flares couldn't be more direct in my case. If I eat bland food I'm usually pretty safe...If I grab a burger or chinese food I'm dead.
 FlippinFRACK - Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:18 am

Well Obviously in your case im sure greesy foods would be a bad choice.. but burgers chineese beer seem to have a less violent but similair affect on most ppl i know. Yeah I hear you with teh food thing.. they must be related. In my case I really don't think they are though.. I can jam fiber down my throut like they recommend.. bu it just makes it worse b/c then i have more stool but it still sits within me.. causeing more bloating and pain... LIke I said before we can only wait and hope

|