Question: Small amount of blood on toilet paper

marmalade - Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:26 pm

About a week ago, I had a few drops of bright red blood on the toilet paper (maybe the size of a dime or nickel in all). That day, I had several bowel movements (nothing huge, but hard to pass). I checked my rear after this, and there was a hemorroid (about the size of a marble). It was not particularly painful, but it was there. I went to the doctor the next day, and she said there was no obvious sign of where the bleeding occurred, so I am being referred for a flexible sigmoidoscopy. When she examined the inside, I did have some sensitivity on the left side (the hemorroid was on the outer right side). Do anal tears ever occur on one side instead of down the middle? I have read that if they are on one side it is the sign of a more serious disease (cancer). She did not mention that she saw a tear, I only mention this because it was sensitive on the left side.

About 6 weeks ago I had an EXTREMELY painful bowel movement, and had a TINY amount of blood on the tissue (like the size of a pin head). These are the only 2 times this has ever happened, but I am in a near painc that I have cancer. The only other symptom I have is a pain sometimes on the left side of my anus, almost muscular, which seems to be worse when I have been sitting. I also have occassional tailbone pain (I had a bad fall a few years back down stairs) Otherwise, I am a very healthy 46 year old woman. I have been eating tons of fiber since this happened last week, and so far, no problems.

I also have always had a sensitive stomach. I have heartburn and take zantac for it, and have it under control.

The doctor said that she really thinks I do not have cancer, but is doing the check as a precaution. Meanwhile, I am panick sticken, as my husband and mom both have cancer, and I feel it is now my turn. Do my symptoms sound typical for cancer? Any other possiblities?

Thank you for any help.
 Nurse4you - Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:45 pm

Dear marmalade-
The reason you Doctor wants to do a Flexible Sigmoidoscopy is to check for polyps. Usually these aren benign (not cancerous). Straining with bowel movements while having hemorrhoids is likely what caused the bleeding, and telling me that it was bright red indicated that it came from your lower GI tract, and not from your stomach.
I would recommend a diet high in fiber (whole grains, fruits, vegetables, or you could also try something like Metamucil or Benefiber, 1-2 times daily.
I am glad you are seeking treatment, and keep up with the fiber!
 marmalade - Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:44 pm

Thanks for the calm words.

I just made my appointment for the sigmoidoscopy for this Monday, and I am TERRIFIED! Every test that myhusband and mom had in dagnosing their cancers turned out just about worst case scenario, and I feel like I am doomed.

Since the bout with blood on the tissue paper 10 days ago, I have been eating lots of fruits and veggies, and drinking alot of water. I am no longer constipated, and have had no more blood. In fact, the sensitivity in the rectum I was having is all but gone.

I guess what worries me so much is that I have had hemorroids (never too severe) on and off for years, but never any blood until now. That is why I have trouble believing that all of a sudden they would bleed. I don't remember intense pain the day I bledd, but do remember straining (alot) during the BM.

I don't know how I will make it until Monday when I have this test. I am SO scared. Any reassuring words would be so appreciated!

|