News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Sensation in Rectum

lisboa_santa - Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:51 pm

Hi,

Normally I used to have one bowel moverment in the morning before breakfast. But for the past one month i clear my bowel in the morning before break fast. After bath and break fast once again i have to go to the bathroom to clear the bowel. After first time i need to go again in 1 to 2 hours. After that i have a sensation burning/irritation in rectum and always have the urge to go to the toilet. when i go to the toilet sometime small stools are passed and sometimes nothing is passed. and also i have a senstion of liquid flowing in rectum and sometimes it leaks out. These all happes after going to the toilet and clearing my bowel. I went to the doc and i have given with imodium. I tried and the sensation seems to stopping the next day and i don't go to the toilet the whole day. 2 nday it all starts again. Second time i was given with 'debridat' after takink debridat i felt somewhat okey. However with this medication my normal bowel habit doesnt return. i have to go to the toilet once or twice after breakfast to clear the bowel. I stopped debridat after 5 days. And all the problems started again.I go to the toilet before break fast (Stools are normal) and again I have to go to the toilet after breakfast once or twice to clear the bowel(Stools are semi solid and lumpy sometimes). After that i sense irritating and liquid flowing sensation in the rectum always and sometime small amount of leaking is also happening and if i go to toilet very small broken stools are passed, sometimes nothing is passed. In the morning when i go for the first time to the toilet lots of gas is passed before the defacation starts.

Any help or suggestion would be appreciated

Thank you
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:24 pm

User avatar Hello,

Diarrhea or loose stool could be due to:

- Irritable bowel syndrome IBS (functional bowel disorder): Certain types of foods contain, chocolate, milk and alcohol might aggravate the condition In most of the cases there is a sense of incomplete evacuation of the rectum.
Stress increases the frequency and the severity of symptoms in almost all cases. Diagnosis is made by exclusion of other causes.

- Food intolerance, symptoms occur after ingestion of certain types of food like
Lactose intolerance and Gluten intolerance.
- Gastroenteritis Stomach flu, there is mild fever abdominal colic, nausea and diarrhea
- Colitis due to infectious or inflammatory disorders . There is also, pain and tender abdomen.
- Appendicitis, pain and tenderness usually present and in the right iliac fossa.
- There are also some drugs that may cause GI problems and should be avoided.

Investigations include:
Stool analysis should be done to find out the causative organisms, other than viral infections. Careful microscopic studies for Giardia and ameba is important. Stool culture is also important. You have also to observe what is triggering diarrhea. If certain types of food like milk products aggravate the diarrhea you have to avoid them.
Colonoscopy if needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here