Question: Burning pain in stomach anxiety attack?

Truffles - Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:55 pm

Hello
Ive had this problem for years. It seems to get worse. I have been trying to get a diagnosis from MANY docs. The answers are always different.
First I start getting pains in my left side under ribs or I start feeling weird or dizzy and start shaking for no reason. Sometimes sharp and burning pains that go right across my tummy. Normally its the left side. Sometimes it lasts for 2 days at which point I do not go for a #2. I would say bowel area. It hurts so bad I feel like Im going to pass out. I start shaking, and trembling really bad. It comes out of the blue. My doctor says its anxiety. However, I don't feel anxious UNTIL the pains come and it gets worse. I feel like Im going to pass out, and I start sweating. I have to lay down before I pass out, and eventually I have to go to the bathroom. When I go, its like diarrhea, sometimes when the pain is not bad, the stool is normal. I don't have IBS and am not constipated. I normally took a pain killer, now Im on anti-depressants and Clonazepam. I BELIEVE I feel like passing out and get dizzy BECAUSE of the pain and NOT vice versa. I don't know whether to explore other options. Im wondering if maybe its an allergy? Worm parasite? Food poisoning from cross contamination? Once I finish going to the bathroom, and um... I unload quite a bit... :oops: Im okay again. I get up and the pain is gone. Or would anxiety cause me to unload myself (excuse the term) as diarrhea? There is no blood or anything funky in the stools, both. It really knocks me off my feet. Last week in a major dept store I was on the public bathroom floor for 45 mins, shaking, tummy hurting, passing out sweating, I went to the toilet, diarrhea. I layed down, was extremely warm, needed bags of ice all over me and a cold cloth. I got up and did the toilet thing again, once again lots came out. Im so embarassed to be writing this :wink: 10 mins later I was ok. Please help. What options should I discuss with my doc? By the way if this helps, when I don't have pain, I generally don't uh...go very often but when I do, its uh....ALOT. Im hoping any of this will help give a clue. Oh last thing, sometimes I don't take anything when this happens and once the bowel has relieved itself I am ok. I am 31, female and have 2 kids and Im not pregnant. (I wanted to give as much info as possible) :oops:
Thank you kindly
God Bless
 sojoedeck - Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:18 am

Let me tell u a little story, about 3 yrs ago I had a horrible attack, the pain came on so strong, right out of the blue. Right under my left rib cage, never moved, just stayed there and got worse, I couldn't even stand streight up. I went to the hospital, the Doc said had to be stomach flu, or sympathy pains for my sister who was in labor, so he sent me home. the next day the pain was even worse, I couldn't walk, I broke out in a cold sweat, I was nausous from the pain, I had no bowel movememts. I had barely anything, what would come out was mucous, very little. I went back to ER. Thank god I had different doc, who decided to have me do a little test, a CT san with contrast. I drank this stuff and 2 hours later hasd this ct scan. The Doc came back and said it looks like you have Chrons'. I damn near fell off the bed. I was admitted, they got my pain under control, I had a colonoscopy the next day, it was confirmed that yes I had Chron's. So they did a series of steroid treatments, and at the end of the week, I had another colonoscolpy, but this time, low and behold it wasn't chron's had to be an infection in my colon. After IV antibiotics, everything was fine. I was told to go home, it was a freak thing and will never happen again... HAHAHA. that was Sept 01
May 02, I was on a retreat with my daughter 2 hours from home, when the night we got there, I din't feel to good, had pain on my left side under rib cage again, but i thought had to do with high fat dinner we had been served. So i sat there very uncomfortable, I finally retired to our hotel room. I went to bed. I woke up at 5 am, in alot of pain by now, but I got up and moved around, went to breakfast with a friend. I couldn't eat and it came back up. I told my friend I needed to leave and get home. She said no, and that I should stay. She brought me antacids, didn't work. Finally later that day, I went out shopping, I was in a store, I broke out in a cold sweat, couldn't move or breathe, the pain was unbearable. I got back to my room, called my husband told him this was the same thing that happened 8 months back. I went to the local hospital. I told the Doc, look, you'll do the CT with contrast and tell me I have Chron's. He did the test and came back and told me I had Chron's and I was being admitted. I laughed and said but its not. So the next day after being seriously drugged up with pain medication, another Doc came in and said were transfering you to the bigger hospital and a Gastroenterologist has decided to take your case. I was transfered. Met the nice Doc, he told me I was having a colonoscopy the next day. "GREAT" So i did, and low and behold he said looks like Chron's but I don't believe it is. His plan was to get me under control, and see me in 3 weeks after I was sent home later that week.
3 weeks later I saw him, he ordered a Barium enema. The barium enema showed him that a segment of colon had lost blood supply and died. also known as "Eschemic Bowel" but he couldn't understand how someone my age would get that. I was 35. This type of illness happens in folks in there late 60 and up. He had a surgeon look at the scans of the barium enema, and I had a conference with the surgeon, and he told me I had to have a Left Hemicolectomy. A portion of my colon was removed and the intestines that were affected also. All the good parts were conected, and I did not need a colostomy. I had the surgery June 27 2002, and recoved wonderfully. I still have pain, but it more and likely due to the hernia surgery I had to remove a ventral hernia after the hemicolectomy. That surgery was about 10 months later.
I'm not saying this is what you have, but if I were you, I would have it checked out, or got to the ER.. Ask for a CT with contrast, that will show if there is something wrong with your colon. Even if its twisted. With me, I was getting the pain because the segment of colon that had lost blood flow, would twist and thats when I would get these horrible bouts of pain, just like your experiencing.

I didn't have bleeding in my stool, I didn't have high fevers. Just excruciating pain on my left side right under my rib cage, the only position I could be in was the fetal position.

You may wonder how did this happen, I have high blood pressure And have had it since I was 30. However the Doctors can't say if because of my blood pressure being out of control that affected the blood circulation to my colon. So still to this day, I am having test after test after test, to try and figure out why.
I'm sorry this was so long, but I hope helpful
Sojoe

|