Question: gallbladder attack?

Stephanielou - Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:27 pm

I presented three weeks ago with mild abdominal/side pain and nausea.

My PCP ordered a panel of blood work and a gallbladder u/s. My blood work came back with a slightly elevated white blood count and the u/s was normal.

They ruled out a UTI and then ordered a PIPIDA (sorry spelling?). This test showed that my gallbladder was not functioning correctly. I was told that it was functioning slow. I was refered to a surgeon to discuss a gallbladder removal and was sent home with a prescription for Ultram for pain.

I saw the surgeon and have scheduled a laproscopy for Nov. 3rd.

But just this weekend the pain has begun to intensify. It is just below my right ribs and radiating into my side and back. It hurts so badly that I can hardly take a deep breath let alone move around a lot or stand up straight. My right shoulder hurts to move and I am so nauseous that I can't keep any food down. Since this started three weeks ago I have lost 10lbs (not that I am complaining abou that :lol: ...it just seems odd)

I called my PCP's office and was told to eat a bland diet with no dairy.

My question is...How am I going to get through the next three weeks until my surgery? Is this kind of pain normal for just a slow gallbladder? Could there be something else wrong? What can I do to alleviate the discomfort and pain? Is it just going to keep getting worse until the surgery?

Please help.

Stephanielou
 shannonv33 - Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:05 pm

Had hida scan showing my gallbladder wasnt working right neither, but after they took It out I got worse. Had this done in April and I am still trying to find out what it is, doing alot of research and have had alot of testing. Next on the list is a EDG, the doc that done my surgery wanted me to have a ERCP but pcp wanted this test first,less invasive. I have been looking at sphincter of oddi and pancreatitis, leaning more towards the pancreatitis with all the different symptoms I have now. After taking my gallbladder out I also have chronic dirreha, not fun at all...but no one ever warned this could happen. :oops: I wish I would of had my biliary ducts check first before taking out my gallbladder, but just went along with what the doctors were saying...I didnt know any different. The pain is bad I know....Ive been living with it for 9 months, I take vicodin and a few other pills to try and stop the spasms but they don't do much. I wish you well.....Shannon-michigan
 Catherine Fergerson - Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:46 pm

I know how you feel. I had been in pain for 2 months... so servere and I couldnt sleep but an hour a night. I had done this for 2 months before I couldnt take the pain or the exaustion anymore. I was admitted to the hospital through ambulance 4 times. They kept telling me it was a bladder infection, then they told me it was an ulcer too... the 2nd time they told me I had acid reflux disease. The third visit they told me my urnine tested positive for pregnauncy but my blood did not, and that it was my ulcer acting up. The 4th time I was in so much pain I almost punched the ambulance guy for trying to put a seat belt on me in the ambulance. It was the worst pain I had ever felt and I was in pain all day and night and completely exahusted at that point.

When they finally did an ultrasound the last visit they found 7 stones and that my gallbladder was hugly inflammed and called an emergency surgical group to take it out 6 hours later.
That was 2 weeks ago. While I have THANK GOD, not had the servere pain the nausea has been persistant and on top of things I had just started birth control for the first time a month and a half ago. I completely missed my period, which is giving me cause for concern, that maybe I could be pregnaunt. I was unable to take my pills for 2 days and they had me on so many medicenes 2 weeks previous.
 barbmill711 - Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:38 am

Sounds like you ladies have been through a lot :x . I truly sympathize. I put a prior post about 5 days ago but I have been going thru stomach troubles for a year and 3 months now and i am at my witts end. I have been through every freaking test known to man and they find nothing. I am in such discomfort and these doctors make you feel like idiots just because they cannot find anything on a stupid test but we know our bodies and we know when something is wrong.

I am beginning to think my problem may be my gall bladder...My pain has been kind of dull but always there and non-specific for the past year but a week ago it turned into this intense burning in the right upper quadrant and it burns all the way through to my back. I have lost my appetite and sometimes it just goes into these spasms. It almost feels like there is something inside that is spasming so much and it just wants to get out. I feel like it may burst sometimes. ( a little scary)I also get nausea with it .

I have heard of similiar stories. I know of a lady who went thru this for 2 years and finally they just went in to take out her gall bladder and found that it was hidden by her liver making it unclear to see in tests/ultrasounds and had formed adhesions so it was difficult to see. Part of it had actually died too.

We just have to trust in ourselves sometimes and not give up. God bless.

|