Question: White lump in large saliva gland

GordonShumway - Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:01 pm

about 3 months ago I kept getting this sensation that I has something stuck in my throat. I saw a small white lumpish thing near a flap in my tonsils on the left. I got a flash light and picked it out easily. it did not hurt but it bled a bit. the small lump looked kind of "cottage cheesy" but was rubbery and crumbled. It smelt really bad and I kind of figured it was some food that had got caught in my saliva gland or something. For the last week I had the same feeling(this is three months later) and found anouther one in the same place. same look and smell. I have been trying to find some indication on all the internet MD sites but none really fit untill I read someones post on this site. I found no response to their problem. I am leaning towards some bacteria infection like strep which comes closest to the symptoms I have found. I am going to see a doc in a few days because none of the leads lead to anything good as far as I can see. I am not prone to sore throats but could this be strep?
 GordonShumway - Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:27 pm

I have done some more reserch and found that they are "Tonsilloliths". Caused by build up of shed cells and food in people with large tonsils mostly. the description fits perfectly and I feel much better now. Daily gargleing should do the trick and the only other way to be sure adn rid of them is tonsilectomy which would not be fun as an adult! PHew!

|