Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: end stage liver disease

chochies - Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:30 pm

My husband was in the hospitol a year ago because he was throwing up blood and the did the banding (not sure what it is called .He was in a coma for a week than released from the hospitol. He has end stage liver disease and hepatitis c he is taking all his medications and visitsm doctor every month . He has recently started bleeding from his nose and has a pain in his spine and says he feel like liquid is going down his spine. His doctor only runs bood work test what I needed to know is if he needs to be checked for the banding that was done a year ago and what tests need to be preformed. He also has a hard time breathing and swallowing. He has told his doctor this but he never says anything. He is not eligible for a liver transplant because his liver is very damaged. He watches what he eats and is at good weight level. He is 47 years old and is also on methadone 21 mgs.
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:42 pm

Dear chochies,

Was your husband a drug addict that's why he's on methadone and that's how he got hepatitis C virus?

Well,I can't see why he can't do a liver transplant...he's 47 years old ..does he have heart problems ...or he's having difficulty breathing from the ascites(fluid in his abdomen)? If his blood works are not that bad and he doesn't have liver cancer that caused secondaries in the spine...then he can do a liver transplant....consult another doctor ,please...he can have a liver trasnplant,despite having a coma makes him a CHILD C classification...that makes the operation prognosis not as good...but he's still young and it's better than suffering everyday. Unless , he has another disease that makes the operation difficult (kidney disease for an example)

chochies - Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:36 am

Thank You for your reply. My husband was a herion user for many many years and stoped using and got on Metadone three years ago. That is how he got the hepatitis c stage 4, cirrhosis stage 3 virus. He seems to be doing well and went to his doctor last week and is going to be reffered to a Gastro doctor soon for an evaluation for a liver transplant. His kidneys seem to be doing well just a slight low platelet count. He has not drank in three years and is doing well maintaining his weight. He eats pleantly of veggies and fruits and not very much salt. His symptoms right now are forgetfulness, cramps in the legs, and hard time breathing or swallowing once in a while does not happen all the time but it is scary/ Thanks again.
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:06 am

Good job....I hope they can find him suitable for a liver transplant.. the only thing that worries me is the difficulty in breathing! Is it from the ascites (free fluid in abdomen) or is it a heart condition.

Keep me updated,
Best wishes,
 chochies - Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:15 pm

:( Here are my husbands labs: WBC 1.6 L,RBC 4.1 L,HEMOGLOBIN 13.5, HEMATROCRITE 38.9 MCV 9.5, MCH32.9, MCHC 34.7 RDW 16.7 H, PLATELET COUNT 40 L, MPV 10.6, NEUTROPHILS 57.1, LYMPHOCYTES 31.8, MONOCYLES 9.2, EOSINOPHILS 1.4, BASOPHILS 0.5, RBC MORPHOLOGY NOTE SLIGHT POIKILOCYTOSIS PLATELETS APPEAR MARKEDLY RECUCED AS ESTIMATED ON SMEAR CBC VERIFIED BY PERIPHERAL BLOOD SMEAR REVIEW. ABSOLUTE COUNTS (CALC.FROM CBC) ABSOLUTE NEUTROPHILS 914 L. ABSOLUTE LYMPHOSYTES 509 L, ABSOLUTE MONOCYES 147 L, ABSOLUTE EOSINOPHILS 22, ABSOLUTE BASOPHILS 8, AMMONIA 105 H. Since I last posted we went to the doctor and they have run more lab work but still have not seen a Gastroenterologist. I don't know what is going on. My husband goes to a Community Clinic because the only insurance we have is State Medical so I don't know if that is why we have not seen a specialist. We live in Vista California. Right now the symtomes my husband has is pain in lower part of rib cage and a strong pain in the lower back where his kidneys are his pain was so great he thought he might have to go to the hospitol but in the morning when he took his methadone it went away. This pain comes once in a while but painful. What can I do so the Doctor can refer him to a specialist? What are his test results tellimg me? He goes to the Clinic in two weeks and his nose bleeds are comming back. Thank You
 chochies - Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:24 pm

I wanted to ask you why my husband has a strong ammonia smell, the oder fills the room and I feel like I have a hangover and I don't even drink. He seems very active so what can it be? Thank You :?:
 chochies - Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:27 pm

My husband has an appointment with the hepatoligest at UCSD Medical Center in San Diego on March 1 2006 and I wanted to know what happens next. Is that when they eveluate to see if he is eligable for a transplant? Should he lower his Methadone dose he is at 21 mg? Thank You

|