Question: Abd pain

Jenniec - Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:51 am

Early this morning my stomach kinda hurt but now it is pretty sore. I haven't done anything to hurt it. It is kind of in the middle of my stomach lower area, and if pressed on the pain shoots up. Any idea what it could be?
Anyway, Thanks for your time
Jennifer
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:05 am

User avatar Jenni,
Are you referring to central pelvic pain?
Is there any fever? nausea, vomiting? Do you have any difficulty during micturition? When did you have your last period?
It could be gynecological pain due to something like a salpingoopheritis. It could also be irritable bowel syndrome due to stress?
 Jenniec - Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:58 am

What is central pelvic pain?
Fever: not high
Nausea: yes
Headache: yes
Vomiting: no
Difficulty during micturition: no
Last period: two to three weeks ago
If it is pressed my chest hurts ( go up to my chest)
What is salpingoopheritis.
And how would stress cause irritable bowel syndrome?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:29 am

User avatar That would mean pain in the hypogastric region i.e. in the lower part of the abdomen in the midline. Salpingo-oopheritis (also known as pelvic inflammatory disease) is an inflammatory disease of the tubes and ovaries.
Associations between psychiatric disturbances and IBS pathogenesis exist but are not clearly defined.
    Patients with psychological disturbances relate more frequent and debilitating illness than control populations.
    Patients who seek medical care have a higher incidence of panic disorder, major depression, anxiety disorder, and hypochondriasis than control populations.
    An Axis I disorder coincides with the onset of GI symptoms in as many as 77% of patients.
    A higher prevalence of physical and sexual abuse has been demonstrated in patients with IBS.

Whether psychopathology incites development of IBS or vice versa remains unclear.

Please specify if you are referring to another abdominal area when you said "middle of my stomach lower area"
 Jenniec - Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:16 am

Yes then it is central pelvic pain,
It is in the lower half of my abd, and in the center.
When I just woke up now the there is more pain then before it shoots to my right if I touch the area
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:09 pm

User avatar Dear Jenniec,

Abdominal pain is one of the difficult symptoms to be evaluated by physicians, reason being that the abdomen contains quite a few organs. And this makes the pain a non-specific symptom pretty much most of the time unless it has typical features pointing to a specific organ (which is not the case in most of the times). Diagnosis is usually helped by the associated symptoms that the patient has in conjunction with the abdominal pain. This is usually a step in the way of diagnosis. The next step is physical examintation. And in certain cases, if deemed needed by the examining physician, pelvic/rectal exams in females and genital/rectal exams in males have to be done.

If you continue to have this abdominal pain or if it is getting worse, i encourage you to seek medical attention as soon as possible to get the proper care.

|